XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have plenty of mags and ammo for all my guns but I was wondering what if any gun I should buy before the expected ban?

Here are the firearms I have already:

XCR
Bushmaster M4
FAL
M1A1
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
1927 Tommy Gun
SKS
AK-47
GSG-5
Winchester model 94
Ruger Mk II
Beretta 92F
Springfield XD 9mm

I was thinking about a PTR-91, a Sig 556, or maybe a tactical shotgun.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
How about the shotty? Looks like you are doing rather well on the rifle front.

BTW how do you like the M1 Garand? I'm looking at picking one of these up and probably calling it a day for the rifles... too much money on other stuff atm.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Shotguns usually don't get picked on too much for a ban though. I'd look at it from the investment standpoint myself.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Go to your dealer tomorrow and order an FN SCAR 16s while you can. Limited number, already high initial price, and a large following. The price only has one direction to go.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Shotguns usually don't get picked on too much for a ban though. I'd look at it from the investment standpoint myself.
Remember the StreetSweeper? With that in mind I bought a Saiga-12 and some 10 round mags. I think one way or another it was a good purchase. I just wish I'd bought it a few years ago when they were about $300.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Looking at your list, you could go for the scattergun approach or be like some others here and use that money to stock up on mags and ammo - lots of ammo!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Looking at your list, you could go for the scattergun approach or be like some others here and use that money to stock up on mags and ammo - lots of ammo!
+1. Looks like you have an impressive family. Feeding them is be a bigger problem than adding another when the :shtf:. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about the shotty? Looks like you are doing rather well on the rifle front.

BTW how do you like the M1 Garand? I'm looking at picking one of these up and probably calling it a day for the rifles... too much money on other stuff atm.
I love my Garand. It is absolutely one of the finest firearms ever made. Mine is over 50 years old and will shoot the hell out of anything out to 200 yards. Beyond that I can't see very well without optics. I got mine from through the CMP for $500. I think it is classified as service grade which means it is still within GI tolerances. It is weird because I just don't get the same warm and fuzzy feeling with my M1A.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I was thinking about getting the step above the service grade, but wasn't sure about the quality of the service grade. Were you pleased with the quality and all you got? I wish you could buy the tanker models from CMP, I like the shorter stocks on those guys.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The quality was just fine. The stock was a little dirty with a few handling marks but mechanically its perfect. I took some linseed oil and some 00 steel wool and went over the stock. It got all the minor blemishes and the 50 years of grime. It looks quite nice now. When you order, put in a note about the rifle you want. This is totally unofficial and There is no guarantee they will honor your request but they try to please when possible. For example, I told them I was looking for a late model M1 that would be a good shooter and thats exactly what I got. I am thinking about getting mine re-parkerized. Check out Dean's gun restoration site (drrguns.com) if you want your M1 to look perfect. He also sells restored M1's and even has some M1 shorties. I will take a pic of my M1 so you can see what you will be getting in a service grade rifle.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I wasn't about to buy a Barrett.

Several years back, I bought an Armalite AR50.

Feeding that *$&! is costly to say the least. I'm not about to "up" that cost by going with something quicker to shoot (GRIN).

Besides, for raw accuracy, the Barretts don't do as well as the Armalites.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I find it easier to use a friends M82. I don't have to pay any more tthan the cost of what I shoot and as I load his amoo he never says no. Particularly if I am developing rounds for him.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I came about 2 breaths away from getting an M82A1...I had a friend that knows Ronnie personally and could get me one with no delay. In the end I couldn't justify spending the money on a gun that I had to travel a little ways to shoot at any distance. I decided the money would be better spent on a couple High end 1911s (had to get that desire out of my system). I still want a Barrett, if only for the cool factor.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
AR-10

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I would like to get a new scattergun, maybe a wilson or NHC. I plan to invest in powder, primers and a good lead casting setup.

·
Registered
573 Posts
MC, I'd say if you want anything NFA such as, SBS, SBR, Suppressors, AOW's or Full-Auto, that now might be the time to go for it. >:D

Who knows what tomorrow brings as far as NFA stuff goes. :-\

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've got to agree with Badman on the NFA stuff, get it while the getting is good. I just ordered a PTR-91 Friday and it should be here by Wednesday, there is a lot to be said about it, inexpensive at $965.00, .308 caliber, cheap magazines, I bought 25 used steel mags for $65 and 25 used aluminum mags for $45. I'm sure I can make at least 10 or 12 good ones from each batch. New springs and new finish equals new magazines.

I went to the gun show today (Sunday) in Houston, remember those horror movies when people and animals were dipped in acid or a pool of pirhanas? Well that's almost what it looked like, picked clean. And no BO T-Shirts to be found? I found a PTR-91 with a collapsible stock for $1789.00. The darn stock is only worth $150.00 to $200.00. And those same used magazines that I bought for $1.80 to $2.60 per unit, some guy was selling for $25.00 a pop, and was probably getting it too. I saw this poor girl who sounded like she was from the UK (England) asking some yokel about a pistol. If I didn't have to get back to work I would have stopped to help her out. Now don't get me wrong, there are a few more things I'd like to get but I'm not going to start paying those kind of prices without at least getting kissed. >:D

Any FFL's out there, I've had three friends of mine get inspected this week, just curious?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts