XCR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been asked this a lot by friends and customers and was wondering if any of you savvy with ballistics would know? Don't give me guesses or what you think it may be accurate to, I need promising fact or close estimate. Thanks

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
For giggles, I tried pushing a Kalashnikov on the range one time.

This was with cheap Russian surplus ammo......
From a solid prone, I could keep bullets in a siloughette at 400 at 100%, started losing a FEW at 500.

For whatever reason, 600 yards was GONE. Like the group size essentially doubled or something, 'cause there were lots of rounds missing.

Can a guy connect at 600 with a Kalashnikov and cheap ammo? Yeah, it can be done - but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The Russian's designed the 7.62x39 to only go 500 yards/meters. Both the Germans and Russians did studies during and after WW1. They realized that once the tank brought mobility back to the battlefield. 1000 yard/meter engagements were the exception to the rule for general infantry battles. So the Germans came up with 7.92x33mm Kurtz and the Russians with the 7.62x39mm.

G

·
frankly I think the russian only train thier guys out to 400 even with the 545.

I can tell you that the round does run out of gas at 400+ yards. It still has the energy of a 9mm pistol at ~500 tho so it's not totally useless, you just have to depend on volume of fire rather than one shot stopping.

·
Registered
636 Posts
frankly I think the Russian only train their guys out to 400 even with the 545.

I can tell you that the round does run out of gas at 400+ yards. It still has the energy of a 9mm pistol at ~500 tho so it's not totally useless, you just have to depend on volume of fire rather than one shot stopping.
It has to do with Russian military doctrine, as it relates to the European theater of operations.

1st- massive air and rocket bombardment.
2nd- massive artillery bombardment
3rd- infantry and armor assault

In that method you don't need much range and accuracy. The theory is, that when you get to the 3rd phase you will have very little if any resistance. At least in any organized matter. Also the Russian army does not have very many marksman in the ranks. Only SF and snipers are the only ones with any real marksmanship skills.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts