XCR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there was such a thing..but we are human so there never will be perfection.

With that said...If there was only one rifle you could take, which would it be. I am asking this because I am in the process of looking for a solid platform that will suit most if any situations, from plinking all the way to betting your life on it when the SHTF.
Base your decision on personal experience rather than what you have read somewhere or what you heard once upon a time.
Im sure I may get biased opinions here (XCR) but be honest with yourself and me, because I am making a serious decision here, as I also have this question being polled on other forums as well.
As this will probably be my only purchase this year, and problably for a very long time with all whats going on in Washington these days..the future of assault weapons is looking gloomy for us.........

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
For SHTF I would wait to ask this question until after the XCR-M has come out. I think many folks would pick the XCR-M over the XCR-L for SHTF hands down. Most people I know who have an SHTF rifle stick to something in .308 (usually an FAL) or .30-06 (some bolt/lever action).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will say...not to rule out older designs.....if its good..its good

Example:
I still favor the 1911 .45ACP design over ALL and any pistol ever made....hands down....... and the design is over 100 years old...but even still, its not the "perfect" handgun.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Also depends on where you live and what kind of SHTF you are anticipating. If you live out in the wilderness and most of your gun use will be hunting then a bolt action might make more sense, it's lighter, more compact, very accurate and much cheaper than a semi-auto rifle.

I don't think there can be a general purpose perfect 'SHTF' rifle. It all depends on your personal situation.

There are a lot of good ideas and advice on weapons for SHTF at this site: http://survivalblog.com

From what I remember the author is a big proponent of the FAL if you want to go the semi-auto route.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For an all around SHTF rifle, it would be hard to beat a FAL. My current meet me at the bridge in 5 minutes is a DSA FAL. That said, its heavy, ammo is expensive... For my purposes (fighting and killing animals for food in a survival situation), 6.5, 6.8, or 30 cal seems to be the wiser choise. The XCR in 7.62x39 or 6.5 would be a great choice. My truck gun is a vector underfolder and i certainly could fight with that no problem.

D

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
poll seems to be leaning towards the ----- FAL.
No, I think you should wait until the XCR-M comes out. Because right now the FAL doesn't really have much competition. So the only reason a lot of people prefer it is because, well, there isn't much else out there.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
poll seems to be leaning towards the ----- FAL.
No, I think you should wait until the XCR-M comes out. Because right now the FAL doesn't really have much competition. So the only reason a lot of people prefer it is because, well, there isn't much else out there.
What he said...there isnt a whole lot out there right now that is a do all rifle. My XCR in 6.8 is great and being able to swap over to 5.56 is nice. I would have to see the XCR-M before I made a call as to the best one for me.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
If one that exists, then the AK or the FAL. Both are reliable, ammo is reasonably easy to get and one round will do.

Personally I've got my FAL, with a few thousand rounds of 147gr ball and 168gr HPBT as well as a small stock of AP, Tracer and Incendiary rounds I'm covered if the SHTF scenario occurs.

If it's something new then the Masada or whatever it's called could be good. Caliber change is nice and unlike the XCR you can use standard magazines for the 7.62x39 conversion.The 6.5 round can give me a close match to the 308 in performance and I really like the ability to change the magwell and also the fact that I can put a world class match AR15 trigger in the thing with no hassle or effort. Assuming the accuracy is as good as reported then it's potentially a one stop shop for anything depending on whichever caliber is configured.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
If it were a choice of what I have NOW. In 7.62x39 (I have 2 cases of military + a shit load of soft point handloads) it would be my Krebs AK103 with Eotech. In .308 (Again cases + of ammo) it would be FAL or SOCOM II (both w/Eotech & a shit load of batteries). I refuse to choose a mouse caliber (5.56) or caliber not readily available. I LOVE my 6.8 XCR but ammo would be a difficulty. When the XCR-M becomes available I would give it a good lookover/evaluation. Whatever my choice it would have to be in a caliber capable of taking medium size game (or larger). :2cents:

Handgun wise probably my Wilson Combat M1911 .45 Caliber, although I would probably throw my Glock M27 w/lazier in my ruck. :2cents:

I read on the FAL forum that there is a guy making solar kits for the Eotechs - no battery worries?

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
For me the list of what makes the perfect rifle is actually quite simple:

1: Reliable
2: Good ammunition and magazine availability
3: Accurate
4: Compact size

Simple really.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I think this question is akin to asking "what is the perfect shoe?"

If I'm going for a jog the perfect shoe for me would be a pair of New Balance.

If I'm going to do some work on a construction site then definitely some boots with steel toe or fiberglass.

Same goes for the 'perfect' rifle... depends what you use it for. A bolt action is light, accurate, reliable and can be gotten in just about any caliber. It won't be as effective against a hoard of incoming mutant zombie bikers. A semi-auto rifle is a bit more bulky, has more moving parts, heavier, etc but in the mutant zombie biker situation it could save your life. If you have to hike a couple thousand miles through the wilderness then the lighter, more compact bolt action could be the difference between night and day.

Use the right tool for the job?

:2cents:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts