XCR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this on my way to work a few weeks ago. Couldn't resist grabbing a few pics with my blackberry. I think I've seen it before but I'm sure someone here knows exactly what it is.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
It almost looks like a modified Buffalo, with the arm removed. I have been away from Iraq for too long to keep up with all the latest and greatest IED defeating vehicles.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
PFFFFFFF...

THAT?

That is my new bio-diesel / hydrogen / hybrid commuter truck.

It gets 78MPG and rides like a Caddy.

I've been waiting for the flatbed to show up. They're LATE so tell that driver to put 'er in overdrive and get over here!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The Cougar is actually the model thats made by Force Protection. They make them in Ladson, SC. I see them a lot since I work around the area and live here. You can tell the difference by the grills pretty easily. International keeps their grills that you see on their trucks, but the FP ones are different.

They are the heavy armored personnel carriers that they have been sending to the Marines and such and have supposed to have worked out pretty well.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess the International brand makes sense since there is a plant about 7 miles from where this was taken and I can see the emblem. My uncle actually works there so I need to pick his brain a little to learn more.

·
Registered
161 Posts
the majority of the MRAPS being produced these days are based on heavy truck designs with modifications. the south africans have been making these for years and pioneered the v-hull design specifically to deal with mines and other types of IEDS.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I thought the MRAP Had the axles covered by the V-Hull. I can go over to the unit down from me while I am over here and take a pic of a MRAP, at least the ones they have here.

·
Registered
161 Posts
probably depends on the manufacturer. some of the designs i've seen leave the running gear exposed so they will take the brunt of an explosion. protect the crew, blow off a wheel and still be able to drive away from the contact area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts