XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Is Your Strangest "Malfunction"?

I had a very strange malfunction the other day. I was trying to see what the lowest "reliable" gas setting for Wolf ammo would be. I like to know what the lowest setting for each type of ammo I use to reduce the already mild recoil of the XCR. At setting 4 ejection is very strong and at 3 it is good enough to leave as is. Setting 2 is very weak but marginal, and then I got down to setting 1.

The magazine had about 15 rounds left in it when I fired the Wolf ammo on setting 1. The round fired but did not eject. No big deal as I thought the gas setting was just too weak to cycle properly. I pulled the mag out of the rifle to find the "empty" casing sitting in the mag as if it were the next round to be fired. The round fired, the bolt started to extract the empty casing and then somehow slid the empty back into the half full magazine.

"Very strange",
MadDog :duh:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: What Is Your Strangest "Malfunction"?

An internal brass catcher. Sweet. Now if you could just teach it to reload you'd be sitting on a gold mine.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts

Mine went single shot. The gas block had moved and blocked the port. Locktite and off we went again.

·
Registered
704 Posts

The strangest problem I have had with the XCR was one night after clearing a building alarm, I went to unload the gun. I had my hand cupped over the ejection port to catch the round and it hit my hand and went back into the chamber backwards. It was harder to get out than I would have thought. I guess that's why my XCR feeds everything, if it will take a round backwards.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts

The strangest problem I have had with the XCR was one night after clearing a building alarm, I went to unload the gun. I had my hand cupped over the ejection port to catch the round and it hit my hand and went back into the chamber backwards. It was harder to get out than I would have thought. I guess that's why my XCR feeds everything, if it will take a round backwards.
'HAHAHA! Good lord!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

This isn't really a MALF (well, maybe it is?) - but still more of a D'OH :duh:

I apologize for kinda dragging this out, but you'll get the full effect this way.

I was out with Aussie, shooting his 11" SBR XCR and I had a couple mags of Wolf to burn... I believe setting 3...

So it was back in February, and the place we were shooting still had snow on the ground, so it was rather cold out.

I dump a mag, stuff a new one in the mag well, drop the bolt, squeeze off about 6-7 rounds and get a FTF. No problem, roll rifle over to right, yank bolt back - round ejects, let bolt go - next round FTF (actually it fed, but the bolt didn't fully close). Same drill - EXCEPT this time I rolled the rifle to the LEFT and yanked the bolt back...

WHAM - I take a hit just below the left eye and immediately said "That's gonna bleed..."

So I ask Roy to survey the damage and he says "Just a little redness - no blood"

OK, cool... back to shootin'

So we wrap up a couple mags later, I jump in the truck and head home. Get home, chat to girlfriend, head to shower.

Now up to this point, I have had no issues...

So I scrub up - get out of shower - look in mirror and HOLY SHIT - my fricking eye is swelling shut and I have this golf ball size swelling of the tissue under my eye. So I'm like - OMG, WTF IS CAUSING THAT? IT CAN'T BE THAT HIT I TOOK TWO HOURS AGO?!? :duh:

The only explanation I can come up with is that my face was cold enough to suppress the swelling, and the hot shower and scrubbin' was what triggered the reaction. :duh: :duh:

So I go out in the kitchen and hold one hand over my eye and ask "Are you ready for this?" ::)

She takes one look and says the same thing - "HOLY SHIT - you didn't look like that 20 minutes ago!" :eek:

Regardless, I consider myself lucky, because I had no time to even flinch, and had it been 1/2" higher - the outcome could have been much worse. So why wasn't I wearing eye pro? I WAS - about 90 seconds before - but I set my sunglasses down on the tailgate of the truck because we were losing daylight and it was hard to see the red dot of the Aimpoint...

Now some will ask - "OK, so what caused the FTF?"

Simple... I got a batch of Wolf Soft Point ammo. That crap is JUNK!!! No problems with HP or FMJ Wolf - just the SP...

Here is the damage, after a full week!

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts

Damn 1redgmc that is a bad one.

Mine's not an XCR malf, but here goes. I was shooting a new .416 for the first time. I decided to use a lead sled since I was going to be there a while sighting it in and wanted to leave with both my shoulders intact. The scope was mounted using quick detach Talley scope mounts. I was using the rifle on dangerous game and wanted the qd mounts in case I needed to get up close and personal.

On the third shot the scope slid completely off the rail and smacked me in the nose, splitting it open. The energy had no place to go since the sled contained it all. This caused the scope to slide with each shot. I didn't notice it on the first 2 shots. :duh: The rest of my shooting was done without the sled and on shooting sticks, but not without plenty of flinching at first. Great gun, bad circumstances.

Not as bad as 1redgmc's but it still didn't feel good.

>:D lead sled >:D

·
Registered
6,531 Posts

Or how about firing a LAW66 inside a building. You check it's clear behind you, then the target moves, you step to the side and fire. Next thing you know you're flying out the windows due to the backblast and get a 10 for the somersault and a 0 for the landing! I've still got the scorched jacket somewhere! By stepping to the side I no longer had an open door way behind me but a wall. Still hit the target though but may did my ears hurt for a while.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

I have you all beat......how about FULL AUTO on a semi - auto gun!?
Hell, that's not MALF - that is bliss. Look at the money you save without having to submit a Form 4

·
Registered
6,531 Posts

...and get you ten years in club fed

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

...and get you ten years in club fed
Yeah, but only if you can do it on demand - or they prove that you somehow modified it. ;D

Still not worth taking the chance. ::)

I guess you could say you could tell the BATFE that you are the champeen bump shooter of the county and watch them roll their eyes as they confiscate your stuff and place the cuffs on ya... :duh:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts

They can also get you by proving you knew it could happen and did nothing to repair it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

"Honest ***** yer honor - I had no idear it would do that!"

"So how do you explain the 4000 (hot) spent casings found 10 feet away with your prints all over them?"

"Well, ya see, that trigger was stuck and I was tryin' to unstuck it..."

"Uh... whut was the queshion again?"

·
Registered
512 Posts

Anymore it seems ATF will get you for passing gas.
I saw on another site photos where ATF was taking shoe strings ,rubber bands ,paper clips and tooth picks trying to get some types of guns to go full auto.
If it wasn't so weird it would have been funny ,i mean crap no one even thinks about doing ,or would want to.
Twilight zone music !!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts