XCR Forum banner

What Length barrels do you want for your 7.62 x 39 rifle/barrel

What Length Barrels do you want for the 7.62 x 39 rifle/conversion

6K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  Mountie 
#1 ·
Alex, of Robinson Armament, was asking in a thread tonight what we users would like to see offered in the way of barrel length. I have started this poll, (and I'm still in awe that we get to give feed back to the maker of our firearms system) so that we can let Alex know exactly what we want, and how we want it.

You can have up to 3 votes in the poll, and please don't vote for the same thing 3 times. We need a true reflection of what we want.

So, that being said, have at it!

Roy

#2 ·
Are you sure he was talking about 7.62x39?

I think the thread was about 6.5...

I think there is some confusion here ??? (or maybe it's just me :D )

#3 ·
Your'e confused! :eek: I live in a state of total confusion, but it makes life interesting. Now what was you saying?

Sorry it took so long to post. We've been busy.

We built three rifles as follows: one with a 16" barrel with 1/8 twist; one with a 16" barrel with 1/9 twist; and one with an 18.6 barrel with 1/9 twist. We shot all three back to back with Wolf, AA Ammo, and some handloads.

The Wolf was interesting ammo, it has a very large lead tip which was easily damaged during loading. I.e., when I removed a loaded round from the chamber, I could see the tip was damaged. Nevertheless, we shot 5 shot groups with 4 shots under 1" and then one flyer. The AA and handloads were more consistent (no flyers). My friend who has two AA rifles in 6.5 and who shot we me said that the XCR shot as well as the AA rifles but had lighter recoil.

So, there you have it. We need input on what barrel lengths you guys want. We're ready to go into production. We're going to make 7.62x39mm bolts for these rifles this month. We'll make additional 7.62x39mm bolts for the 7.62x39mm rifles which will be available in December.

Sincerely,

Alex J. Robinson
Manager
I'm still confused!

#5 ·
We built three rifles as follows: one with a 16" barrel with 1/8 twist; one with a 16" barrel with 1/9 twist; and one with an 18.6 barrel with 1/9 twist. We shot all three back to back with Wolf, AA Ammo, and some handloads.
I think he's talking about 6.5 here.

So, there you have it. We need input on what barrel lengths you guys want. We're ready to go into production. We're going to make 7.62x39mm bolts for these rifles this month. We'll make additional 7.62x39mm bolts for the 7.62x39mm rifles which will be available in December.

I think he's saying that they are making 7.62 bolts for the 6.5 rifles and then later they will make 7.62 bolts for the 7.62 rifle?

#7 ·
I'm sure Alex wouldn't mind knowing what people want in the 7.62x39 caliber so I'd leave this poll. ;D

You can make an identical poll in the 6.5 section. ;)

Polls are fun, you can't have too many!

#9 ·
I see a couple of people voted for the 18.6" barrel. I'm wondering if the longer barrel would help with this calibers significant drop after 200 yards? Or do you have some other reason for voting 18.6"?

#10 ·
Alex stated that this length barrel was the most accurate tested on the day at the range. 

I'm guessing a longer barrel means a higher velocity, more stability, and better accuracy.

Anyone else care to comment as I don't have any experience with the 6.5 caliber?

#11 ·
I'm guessing a longer barrel means a higher velocity, more stability, and better accuracy.
That is my assumption as well. This caliber can use all the help it can get in the velocity department ;D

#12 ·
for 6.5, longer barrels(longer than 20") are best for bench shooting. short barrels(less than 20") still seem to show good accuracy, but you will lose velocity just as in other calibers. i have a 26" barrel on my encore which i have used for pigs. just love this set-up.

#14 ·
I'm partial to longer barrels due to the extra bit of velocity.

18.6" is what I consider short considering most of my rifles/shotguns have 24" or longer barrels. I do have one LR-308 in 18" barrel, but with the flash hider it's really around 20". I consider that fairly short, but it's significantly heavier than my 18.6" XCR.

I bought my son a 16" RRA a year or so ago, it's not bad and very light weight.

#21 ·
OK guys and girls, just a reminder to cast your vote before midnight on Sunday as I will be closing the vote and giving the results to RobArm. So far it seems like not too many people are interested in voting. How are we going to convince Alex that this is what we want unless we can give him some good figures. I think only around 13 people have voted to date, so get those fingers moving and make you vote count. This might be a last opportunity to influence this weapon design at this level.

It's your choice. "Do it, do it now" ;D

#23 ·
OK guys and girls, just a reminder to cast your vote before midnight on Sunday as I will be closing the vote and giving the results to RobArm. So far it seems like not too many people are interested in voting. How are we going to convince Alex that this is what we want unless we can give him some good figures.

This is still an infant forum in terms of the number of users registered. So I wouldn't get too excited about closing the poll just yet. People are finding this forum every day, signing up and posting. There is nothing gained from preventing future members from having a say in the barrel lengths.

G
#22 ·
seems to me that there are 2 schools of thought here.
1) 18.6 heavy, we want the velocity and accuracy, but nobody likes the extra weight of a heavy, so flute it!! plus fluting looks and cools better.
2) short and thin, light and fast is the key here. accuracy will be sufficient.

do it.
;)
jack

#28 ·
I really hope they make an 18.6" light barrel for this gun so it is non restricted in Canada or at least a heavy fluted 18.6" barrel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.