XCR Forum banner

What the heck is going on? with XCR Firing Pin?

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  TEXAS SOLFTAIL 
#1 ·
I went ot clean my XCR after 2 range sessions of about 210 rounds.
I used on the first session Rem UMC, S&B, Fiocci and the last {90rds} S&B.

When I pulled the FP assembly it looked like this:

or

It had alot of brass marks on it and part of the brass was still in the FP hole! That looked like this:

.....and the brass pulled from the FP hole:

CLEAN it looks this way:

I had absolutely NO failures of any kind ~ this was a shock to me.

So what is the problem ~ Ammo? or FP area?

See less See more
#2 ·
I find that rifles with rotating bolts running a lot of gas tend to shave more brass, i.e., my 10.5" AR gets more brass on the bolt face than the others.

I wouldn't be shocked if the same holds true for the XCR... are you running it on a forceful gas setting? have you tried turning it down? That would be the first thing I would try if it was bothering me. I wouldn't think it would affect function within a reasonable number of rounds between cleaning as long as the rifle is running fine otherwise.

#5 ·
I put three full mags (90 rds) thru it today of Aguila 55gn FMJ.
The breech looks quite a bit cleaner.
I am not going to clean it and shoot another 120 rds of the same ammo then pull it out and compare.
If it is anywhere close to the original problem then I'll call RA.

#11 ·
keep in mind, brass sheds on everything... We use this little brass tool to tighten on certain gun parts, and we have to be very careful with it, because too much pressure leaves a big, ugly brass mark on the stocks. Maybe your ammo was an odd batch, made with a lower quality brass?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.