XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has Alex given this some more serious consideration? Terra my darling, can you tell us anything or maybe squeeze some info from the fire haired one? :p ::)

Once again RA has an opportunity to be on the forefront of development here and to maximize not only the XCR system, but enable maximum abilities for the most promising combat cartridge to come along in two generations.

I've done a significant amount of reading on this after initially poopooing this idea as unnecessary tweaking.

On further investigation of the original cartridge design specs I discovered that they has actually determined that the 3 or 5 groove 1-11 or 1-12 twist was the ideal.

from a marketing perspective I'm thinking that a barrel option of 1-12 for those "enlightened souls" would be a sweet thing. from there on out, the kits and rifles could be had with either RA's current 1-10 or the 1-12.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I would buy another 6.8 barrel in 1:12".

·
Registered
22,398 Posts
Like I keep posting, ;) if you guys start selling a 1:11 or 1:12, 3 or 4 groove, SPC II chambered 6.8 conversion....I WILL order it.

Please??? :)

Sean

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
the fire haired one? are you talking about me!? ;D

Well, you'll be pleased to know that I talked to alex about an hour ago on the phone, and IF our vendor has the blanks done... we will shortly have some 18.6" 1/11 twist 6.8 barrels. Oh yes. Bow chica wow.

This isn't going to be instant - they still have to be turned, chromed, and ground - among all the other friggin' barrels... but yes. they should be coming shortly.

And the majority goes to our friends in Canada, because they're abused mercilessly by the state department here - but there will be enough to appease the other masses.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Terra, that is great news!!! Will these barrels also be available eventually in 16" lengths as well? I REALLY want one!!!!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Put me down for 1

·
Registered
22,398 Posts
Me too....I'm in.....as long as there's enough meat for me to have the bbl cut down to 14.375" and attach a perm. Vortex.

I'll just buy as is from you guys (assuming cutting it down that short isn't a problem).....then I'll send it to a smith and have him shorten it, attach the FH and possibly even flute it (I'm guessing this will be heavy bbl only) and then re-finish it.

Will I need the regular 16" gas dial with the 18.6" bbl in order to make it work correctly after I cut it down to 14.375"?

Sean

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
If we are starting a line, please put me down for one of the 16" 1:11's as well. (In kit form; I don't currently have a 6.8 and will need the bolt as well).

Thanks,

·
Registered
22,398 Posts
Just for clarification.....I need the whole conversion kit for 6.8.

Sean

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Don't need a muzzle brake, just a 16" barrel with a gas block.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Tara, please put me in line for one 6.8 caliber conversion in the 1/11 twist, with flash hider, not permanent install.

Not sure on length, this is going to be more for pure target shooting, any opinions on the 18.6 vs say a 16 inch length for the best accuracy. 100 yards pretty much the max. Will take your guys experience on this. I saw some results of your testing someplace, but can't find it now.

Also put me in line for the new trigger. Single state and 4 lb pull if there a choice. A bit uncertain as to the wording on the specification. 3.5 to 5 lb acceptable, prefer a the heavier end of the range, but ok with what you guys have found works.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I did some follow up, and as stated the intent was 1-11 or 1-12

Also some issue between

If you try to use a 1-10" twist or SAAMI chamber, you really lose performance. This cartridge was designed to work with 11 or 12 twist and the SPC II or DMR chamber. Once I got a rifle that had those specs, and I started driving the TSX's, Prohunters and VMAx's 2650, 2700 and now, 2800 with the 12 twists, well....its hard to believe that we are getting this much energy out of the basic AR-15 platform.

That begs the question of the chamber as well, this is not my field of expertise by any stretch, but it seems like a 1-11 in a SAAMI chamber would not produce the desired results.

Tara, not trying to be critical, I think you guys are doing a terrific job, but if those kind of details could be incorporated into the specification sheet?

·
Registered
22,398 Posts
I did some follow up, and as stated the intent was 1-11 or 1-12

Also some issue between

If you try to use a 1-10" twist or SAAMI chamber, you really lose performance. This cartridge was designed to work with 11 or 12 twist and the SPC II or DMR chamber. Once I got a rifle that had those specs, and I started driving the TSX's, Prohunters and VMAx's 2650, 2700 and now, 2800 with the 12 twists, well....its hard to believe that we are getting this much energy out of the basic AR-15 platform.

That begs the question of the chamber as well, this is not my field of expertise by any stretch, but it seems like a 1-11 in a SAAMI chamber would not produce the desired results.

Tara, not trying to be critical, I think you guys are doing a terrific job, but if those kind of details could be incorporated into the specification sheet?
Back up a sec.....I appreciate your enthusiasm....but RA is already on the right track. They have been using a 4 groove (groove count is also VERY important to getting the most from the 6.8 SPC), SPC II chamber, and 1:10 twist.

The only thing they are going to change (from what I've read being discussed here) will be the twist rate to 1:11.

RA is NOT using SAAMI spec 6.8 chambers......they are notoriously bad. 6 groove bbls are also proving to be problematic in terms of pressure signs.

RA is getting this right with the 1:11 twist bbl.

Rest assured, the next set of bbls from RA will be correct for the 6.8.

Sean

·
Registered
22,398 Posts
the fire haired one? are you talking about me!? ;D

Well, you'll be pleased to know that I talked to alex about an hour ago on the phone, and IF our vendor has the blanks done... we will shortly have some 18.6" 1/11 twist 6.8 barrels. Oh yes. Bow chica wow.

This isn't going to be instant - they still have to be turned, chromed, and ground - among all the other friggin' barrels... but yes. they should be coming shortly.

And the majority goes to our friends in Canada, because they're abused mercilessly by the state department here - but there will be enough to appease the other masses.
Any update on progress on the 1:11 bbls? I've got cash in hand for this and would like to get it as soon as possible.

Sean

1 - 20 of 35 Posts