XCR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stripping my XCR down to duracoat it this weekend and removed the lower end plate (or whatever you call it). I removed this outside screw, that is conceiled when the stock is extended, it doesn't seem to do anything. Can I leave it off or just put red locktite on it and never touch it again? Is it for some other option? thanks...

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: Terra, what's this screw for?

I could be wrong,but looking at the photo,it appears that is the screw you use to adjust the play out of you folding stock.It makes it lock up tighter by holding the stock from closing fully,but still engaging the locking mechanism.
Correct.

·
Registered
923 Posts

I could be wrong,but looking at the photo,it appears that is the screw you use to adjust the play out of you folding stock.It makes it lock up tighter by holding the stock from closing fully,but still engaging the locking mechanism.
I second that

·
Registered
6,835 Posts

I wouldn't Loktite it with red, you want to be able to adjust it. I haven't had any problems with mine (excpet when i first screwed with it and I didn't know what it did) But I would want the ability to easily adjust it if I needed to.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks guys. I haven't had to mess with it yet, but I will keep that option open and not do anything permanent.

Also, I may need some help when I go to reassemble this thing in a few weeks. I got pins & springs & things (all in a plastic cup).

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts

Nothing complicated about the XCR at all! ;D

Although if it is going to be detail stripped for any length of time keeping a small sheet or two of paper with the parts labeled (up and out of the way of little critters, two and four legged) might help jumpstart your memory.

...speaking of...hey Terra, is there a nice, high resolution pic or two floating around of an XCR detail stripped? Might be nice to have as a reference. Anyone else think so?

·
Registered
144 Posts

ALWAYS like detailed schematics of a firearm, with all parts labeled. That way you know where each part goes and what the manufacturer calls that part.

It would also be nice if they could give us their part number for each part of the weapon.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

This started out as a simple question, you guys gave me some good advice. I remember enough to re-pos everything and take pics.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

m118sb,I didn't mean the XCR is complicated.I just meant I always do it if the particular firearms I'm working on at the time is.In fact aside from an AK,The XCR is about as simple as it gets for a semi-auto.
I certainly do agree with you on the schematic/photo.A detailed photo set would be very usefull.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
143 Posts

Is the selector/safety spring and detent that reside in the grip identicle to the ones in an AR??

+1 it would be nice to have a detailed parts schematic with part numbers and prices!

BTW, the photos will be good for reference! Thanks!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I've got exploded-view drawings of an AR, Colt 1911, Glock17, Baretta 92 all with numbers and a legend with their names. Brownells has these for several guns on their website. But alas, no XCR...yet.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts

m118sb,I didn't mean the XCR is complicated.I just meant I always do it if the particular firearms I'm working on at the time is.In fact aside from an AK,The XCR is about as simple as it gets for a semi-auto.
I certainly do agree with you on the schematic/photo.A detailed photo set would be very usefull.

Oh no, I wasn't implying anything either! I remember back in a former life as a small arms repairman when I had to drag out another Mk19 to look at how it went back together because the first time I did a detail tech inspection the 700pg TM wasn't much help in figuring out how it all went back in there! :duh: It was a fun afternoon and fun was had by all...at my expense! It's the best way to learn though, get in there and do it. And it's amazing to actually see just how simple most firearms really are. Compare a 1911 to something like a Beretta M9. Wow.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
It's all good.Actually I've never disassembled an m9,but I have a 1911.I didn't think the 1911 was all that bad.I would think the double action mechanism would much more complex,but I've been wrong before.I don't want to ass/u/me anything ,but I think that's what you meant by your last sentence.Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
yep, exactly. I was dumbstruck the first time I took my 1911 apart, several years after having dealt with the M9. The double action pieces aren't as bad as the safety/decocking lever and it's assorted little, little roll pins!

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts