XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's rewind the clock a bit and forget about QD barrels, rails, multi-calbers etc etc. There were a lot of great 5.56 NATO guns made during the Cold War. Many Americans are light on experience with Euro weapons due to the import ban, so I will take a hypothetical/theoretical answer.

Here are some examples:

ROF SA80
Steyr AUG
GIAT FAMAS
Colt M16A2
FN FNC
SIG SG550/550
HK33
Beretta AR-70
CETME mod. L
Armalite AR-18

Personally, my favorites are the FN FNC and SG550. If both were sold here in the USA, without ban restrictions on parts/service. and built to the correct standards, I probably would have never looked at an AR15 when I first got into guns.

The FNC especially is brutally tough and cheap. Hell you can get one for less than $3k even now, with auto sears costing about the same. If parts werent such a bitch to get, I would have purchased one years ago. FNC's shoot really nice too.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Heres how I would have bought them at the time had I the means to do so.
Armalite AR-180
FN FNC
Colt AR15A2
SIG SG550/550
Steyr AUG
ROF SA80
Bushmaster Rifle and Arm Gun
Beretta AR-70
GIAT FAMAS
HK93
Daewoo
Leader Dynamics MKV T-2
CETME mod. L
Valmet M-62
Maadi AK

·
Registered
636 Posts
Alright here are my picks.

SA80
M16A1
Galil ARM
FAMAS
AUG
HK33

And I'm going old school on this one and I know it is not a 5.56 but it has to be included on my list.
The British EM2

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
What about the HK G36? That was a 5.56 cold war era rifle. The G36 is a great rifle. Very very accurate and capable of many different configurations as well.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I can only comment on those I have used, but this is the probably order, though actual choice would depend on the intended role;

Steyr AUG
ROF SA80 L85A1 (A2 improved version post cold war)
SIG SG550/550
Galil-ARM
FN FNC
HK53
HK93
Diemaco C7/C8
GIAT FAMAS F1/G1 (G2 was better - Post cold war))
Colt M177E2
Beretta AR70

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
G36 is a nice rifle except it was post cold war.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I am going to go with:
XM177E (CAR-15)
Deawoo K-2
Galil
Valmot M-62

If I could get my hands on a Valmot I would. To be honest the Galil and Valmot are almost the same rifle. My favorite is the K-2.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Valmet in service is 7.62x39.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
G36 is a nice rifle except it was post cold war.
Was it? Wow! I thought it came out just as the Cold War was ending! :duh: Well Either way my point still stands, it was designed during the Cold War with the Cold War in mind. :p

·
Registered
986 Posts
Your are right but then you knew that already. How about the M-71... It was chambered for both.... I just like the Valmet's and the Galil's..... :p ;D

·
Registered
986 Posts
Your are right but then you knew that already. How about the M-71... It was chambered for both.... I just like the Valmet's and the Galil's..... :p ;D
M-76 not the M-71 :duh: In 1985 I had a magazine that listed all of the worlds assult rifles of the time. Thats when I found the Valmet and Galil. Anyway I wish I could find that magazine....

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
What event can I go to get a chance to shoot all these rifles?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Favorite for what purpose?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Self defence, target shooting or if military or swat, close combat, genreal purpose...For what?

If I had to pick just one, L85A2.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Self defence, target shooting or if military or swat, close combat, genreal purpose...For what?

I figured the one rifle that I would need if SHTF... Before the XCR came out mine is the Daewoo K-2...

·
Banned
8,010 Posts

I am guessing all the above since they all shoot 5.56 and are all pretty much the same size.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts