XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 5.56 XCR-L and I'm seeing these posts from 2014 of you guys having 5.45 kits that use 545 ar mags. Are these still around? I checked robinsons website and I'm not seeing them.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
They were short lived. There were a couple versions. I don't have specifics but the first ones had an issue with the chamber. After an undetermined number of rounds in the thousands you'd get a failure that would blow out the mag. After that, there was a redesign of the chamber and they sold those for a bit. Shortly after that they pulled them off the site and said they needed to do some more testing. They kind of stopped talking about them after that.

I've got a 10.5 mini and a 16" standard that get shot regularly but not anything more than a couple of mags per range session. I've not had any issues with them. I've got a fes other barrels. One came direct from RA. The others were with rifles I found on GB. I don't have an easy way to tell which version is which. They did make bolts in Type 2. No idea on how many barrels/bolts they actually made.

·
Registered
22,403 Posts
Too bad too...I'd like to get one of these eventually. The 5.45x39 is a nasty little round. Too bad all the cheap 7N6 dried up after the importation ban. Thanks ATF. :mad:

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Too bad too...I'd like to get one of these eventually. The 5.45x39 is a nasty little round. Too bad all the cheap 7N6 dried up after the importation ban. Thanks ATF. :mad:
Well, if Putin hadn't invaded Ukraine with men dressed in green with no identifying patches...

·
Registered
22,403 Posts
Well, if Putin hadn't invaded Ukraine with men dressed in green with no identifying patches...
I know the Obama administration cited that as sanctions against Russia...but did that apply to the 7N6? I thought that was an ATF ruling on it being armor piercing even though it was just steel core.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I know the Obama administration cited that as sanctions against Russia...but did that apply to the 7N6? I thought that was an ATF ruling on it being armor piercing even though it was just steel core.
As usual, you're right. I had the timeline mixed up. But, domestically manufactured green tip 5.56 is A-OK? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Maybe the DEA should investigate the rule makers for possible drug use/possession.

·
Registered
22,403 Posts
Yeah...crazy that M855 is fine but 7N6 isn't. Like you said...I'm blaming drug use on whoever makes up these idiotic 'rules', lol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
emailed them and they said they will not be bringing 545 kits back, that's a bummer. I think the caliber would complement the XCR well.
*edit
also besides a small handful of 545 ar-15s
there really isn't any non ak 545 platforms

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
emailed them and they said they will not be bringing 545 kits back, that's a bummer. I think the caliber would complement the XCR well.
*edit
also besides a small handful of 545 ar-15s
there really isn't any non ak 545 platforms
The tavor was supposed to have a conversion but it was right around the time the ban happened so it never materialized. I'm glad I got what I did. I ended up with a crap load of silver bear. With the current situation, the 5.45s are the ones getting shot at the range

·
Registered
22,403 Posts
The tavor was supposed to have a conversion but it was right around the time the ban happened so it never materialized. I'm glad I got what I did. I ended up with a crap load of silver bear. With the current situation, the 5.45s are the ones getting shot at the range
Speaking of 5.45 AKs....I guess everything's been pushed back on the timeline for PSA's stuff, huh?

That sux...wish they'd do a 5.45 AK pistol. And I still want an AKV. :)

·
Registered
22,403 Posts
Have you seen it with the Fostech Echo?
I don't think that's necessary in the slightest with the ALG....especially if I mod it to where I've only got 3/32" of travel.

·
Registered
22,403 Posts
Not necessary. But looks fun.
Problem I've found with the binary triggers is that the pull is heavy (to me...4.5# or so) and the travel is ridiculously long on both take up and reset.

My modded ALG AK triggers are probably my favorite out of all my guns.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i mean, it sounds like they want to bring it back. the title "5.45 anyone???" and "Testing latest version of XCR-L in Caliber 5.45x39mm. Robinson Armament considers reintroducing the XCR-L Rifle and Caliber Conversion Kits in this East Block Favorite Caliber."
sounds like they're gauging interest. And in todays market where 5.45 is cheaper than everything else, who wouldn't want a conversion kit.

·
Registered
22,403 Posts
Read the post. These aren't coming, it was a tease with left over parts.
Well now I'm confused....

The video is from RA's channel and is from today. Are they just building what's left of old stock?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts