XCR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be in the market for an aimpoint but am unsure of what model to get.

I am pretty sure I will get a 4MOA and it needs to fit a 30 mm mount. NV capability is not necessarily needed, but if it is only a few $ more, then I would opt for it.

It would be for a duty gun.

It looks like the CompM2 or CompML2 would fit my needs and be the least expensive route. I checked prices and NV is $50 more. Is it worth it?

Any thing I am missing? I can't see of a reason to go up to the CompM3.

TIA.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
You can still use the ML2 and the M2 with NV.

I would go for the M2 because it has 30,000 hour battery life as opposed to 10,000 for the ML2. But 10,000 is still a lot, it means you can leave the unit on for 416 days straight before it runs out.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to hear that both are NVG compatible--SWFA's website didn't have this info. I found a ML2 for $335 shipped and am looking at it. It is apparently like new with mount, covers, etc.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I have AN-PVS7 NV goggles, and I can see the dot on the ML2, even in the lowest setting. Where the M2 differentiates from the ML2 is if the BG also happens to have NVG, he won't see your dot on your Aimpoint, but keep in mind, if he is 50 yards away he probably won't see it anyways.

I came to the conclusion Night Vision SCOPES are kinda lame, after the first shot you give away your position, so what use is Night Vision? Also after that first shot, and the recoil, it is hard to stay on target. The way to go is a NV Goggles (as oppose to scopes) and an IR laser. Just point and shoot.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I don't know anything about NV, but is there any particular reason you want 4 moa dot rather than 2?

I don't think there's any difference in engagement speed close up, and from 200 yards on the 4moa becomes much less functional.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was afraid I would give up engagement speed up close. With other dots I have used, 3 MOA, was hard to find up close. I would agree that the other dots probably didn't go as bright and they may have contributed.

If the 2 MOA is indeed as fast up close, I would rather have the versatility of the 2 MOA.

I will be running a magnifier if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I've used the ML2 since we got our M4's and M68's, that was over eight years ago. Good sight, really no worries with it other than folks really abusing their rifles and breaking the intensity knob off. The QRP mounts are, to be polite, usable but not the best.

If you could save a few bucks more the M4 sight is better. AA battery and lasts darn near forever.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went with the C3 as it seemed to have the best mix of features that I was looking for and price. I went with the 2 MOA and should have it this afternoon. I'll post back with impressions.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
FWIW, I sold off two M2 Aimpoints.

Once I tried the 2 MOA dot - and timed it against the 4 MOA - I sold the 4 MOA dots.

FOR ME, the 2 MOA was just as fast as the 4 MOA.

However, I could hit past 300 with the 2 MOA dot, whereas hitting past 300 for me with the 4 MOA dot was "iffy". That's why I switched. 2 MOA dot makes hits at 400 a cake-walk.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had several RDS's through the years and need to see if I am doing something wrong or its my eyes.

When looking at it the dot never looks round, unless I turn the dial way down. Then it washes out on a variety of targets. The dot looks like a four point star to me and my wife.

It looks more like a hash when viewed through the magnifier--like 3 dots side to sdie. If it was at least horizontal I could live with it, but the "line" angles down to the left.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Yeah, congrats - you need glasses.

When I wear corrective lenses, it's all good. If I look through the Aimpoint (or EoTech for that matter) without corrective lenses, things are funky.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At my last I exam, I had 20/10 in both eyes. I haven't noticed a vision change and it is only with the Aimpoint, my Millett, Burris, and Spot are all round.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I shot it today and it is real nice up close. I shot tighter, faster than I usually do. The dot, even being smaller than the Millett, just glowes.

I could not group near as well at 50 yards with the Aimpoint as I did with the Millett. With the magnifier I kept seeing three dots in a canted line.

I figure I'll go to the eye doctor with my wife and continue to train with it a bit more before I make a final judgement.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
One of my good friends has one mounted on an M1A Scout.

He dragged it to the last course we took - yeah, he ran an M1A Scout in a close-quarters course >:D

For some applications he likes it - for some he doesn't. Didn't like it for the applications like the last course, but he's taken deer with it and likes it in the field.

Guess it's personal preference for the most part.....

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I'd look at the M3/ML3... cheaper than the M4 and still has 50,000 hours battery life. I have an M3 (got it before the M4 was available) and that would still probably be my choice today.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts