XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which EoTech is the best one for the money. I will be using it on my XCR and other weapons calibered from .223 up to .308, but mostly on .223 and 7.62 x 39. I have done some of my own research but am not sure. I would like to be able to effectively shoot at targets out to 100 yards and the batteries not last for a decent amount of time. I will be using BUIS with this some that is some thing I am also concerned about.

Thanks For Your Help

G

·
the bushnell holosight is made by eo-tech and is in fact a copy of thier cheapest model for a bit less than eotech charges. get that if you want one.

the best bet would be to go with an Aimpoint if you have the funds. they are built better and are a generally more robust sight than the eotech. battery life is WAAAAAY longer too (like 5 years of being on) and they are less susceptable to heat build up than the eotechs

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Tac, I have both EoTech and Aimpoint. I like them both, and if you want to try them both - let's make plans to get with Aussie and sling some lead. He has the Aimpoint Comp M4 with Larue mount on his SBR XCR and I have the EoTech 512 on my Rock River and Aimpoint Comp M2 with Larue mount on my SBR LMT.

Jack is 100% correct about the Bushnell and although I really like my EoTech for low light conditions (it is perfect with a Streamlight TLR-1 mounted under the barrel), I prefer the Aimpoint for daytime engagements.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I have an Eotech 553 and a couple Aimpoint Comp M2s. I like them both though I am starting to lean towards the Aimpoint. I have no problem hitting steel out to 300 with my XCR/Eotech. If you don't have easy access to "special" batteries I would go with one that takes AA batteries. I get CR123 battereis from work so I went with the shorter Eotech.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you don't have easy access to "special" batteries I would go with one that takes AA batteries. I get CR123 battereis from work so I went with the shorter Eotech.
I believed people who said you could pick up N batteries just about anywhere, yet now that I need them, I can only seem to find them at Radio Shack.

If you need to save the space, like on a flattop AR or SBR, then consider the Eotech with the N batteries. I have the AA model on my XCR.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
If you need to save the space, like on a flattop AR or SBR, then consider the Eotech with the N batteries.
I went with the new 553 just so I could use the same batteries as my flashlights. It isn't as short as the one with the N battereis but it is shorter than the AA model. It was however, the most exspensive at the time.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Eotech devours batteries very quickly, which is the primary reason I would never get a model that didnt take conventional batteries. Best case scenario is 45 days of use with AA

Yes, my Aimpoint ML3 uses un-conventional batteries, but it will also last 5 years if left on.

Then there is the very awesome Aimpoint M4 which will last 8 years on a single AA battery

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
The only thing I DON'T like about my Eotech(s) is the battery life. I carry extra batteries, with the piece, but it still irks me how they may die at any point. There is a guy out there somewhere who "mods" the Eotech to use "solar assist" and used to charge around $100.00 to do it. When I had a hard drive failure I lost his web address. If my life depended on an Eotech the solar unit would be my choice. Aimpoint is also a fine choice as is Millet. And a plus is battery life. :2cents:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
The only thing I DON'T like about my Eotech(s) is the battery life. I carry extra batteries, with the piece, but it still irks me how they may die at any point. There is a guy out there somewhere who "mods" the Eotech to use "solar assist" and used to charge around 0.00 to do it. When I had a hard drive failure I lost his web address. If my life depended on an Eotech the solar unit would be my choice. Aimpoint is also a fine choice as is Millet. And a plus is battery life. :2cents:
Eotech is my fav optic, but the battery life is something else to add to the list of things to think about. Though, my last set of batteries lasted a year and it went through 4 classes and lord knows how many range days and desert shooting sessions.

I make sure its never left on when its not needed, and rarely use the brightest setting, so on some level it might be a non-issue under normal use.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The only thing I DON'T like about my Eotech(s) is the battery life. I carry extra batteries, with the piece, but it still irks me how they may die at any point. There is a guy out there somewhere who "mods" the Eotech to use "solar assist" and used to charge around 0.00 to do it. When I had a hard drive failure I lost his web address. If my life depended on an Eotech the solar unit would be my choice. Aimpoint is also a fine choice as is Millet. And a plus is battery life. :2cents:
Which battery style does your Eotech use?

Mine uses N batteries and the life has been pretty good. I can change out quickly and also keep them with the rifle at all times.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which EOTech and Aimpoints use AA batteries ? I like the style of the dot on the EOTech does the Aimpoint have a similiar dot setup ?

Thanks for the Help

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Which EOTech and Aimpoints use AA batteries ? I like the style of the dot on the EOTech does the Aimpoint have a similiar dot setup ?

Thanks for the Help
Eotech AA models
512.A65/1
557.AR223
552.XR500
552.XR308
552.D1
552.A65/1

Aimpoint AA Model
COMPM4
COMPM4S

Generally speaking, I prefer Eotech, but I will say the COMPM4S might be the overall best CQB optic made currently. Surreal battery life, durable as hell, great ergos and FOV. If I had to take any reddot into war, the COMPM4S would be my first choice

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If you don't have easy access to "special" batteries I would go with one that takes AA batteries. I get CR123 battereis from work so I went with the shorter Eotech.
I believed people who said you could pick up N batteries just about anywhere, yet now that I need them, I can only seem to find them at Radio Shack.

If you need to save the space, like on a flattop AR or SBR, then consider the Eotech with the N batteries. I have the AA model on my XCR.
VA - I bought a case of (50) CR-123's for something like $39.95 from Botach Tactical...

They sell them like that all the time... and they are of good quality and claim a 10 year shelf life.

http://www.botachtactical.com/nabccr123.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
tac,
I have an eotech 511. It is one of the lowest priced in the line and uses "N" type batteries. I got them at Walgreens Drug Store camera department, and I think that they also carry them at everyone's favorite store, Walmart.

I take the batteries out of the sight until they are needed.
That way you wont accidentally leave the sight on.
The sight is supposed to turn itself off automatically after either 4 or 8 hours depending on how you turn it on initially. I assume that feature really does work but why take the chance?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have a "AA" battery EoTech, and regardless of how hard I try to make sure to turn it off - I generally have a dead set the subsequent visit to the range and had to rely on my BUIS. YES, I now carry spares each and every time! Have had NO issues lilke that with the AimPoint - but I carry two spares for it as well.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I have a "AA" battery EoTech, and regardless of how hard I try to make sure to turn it off - I generally have a dead set the subsequent visit to the range and had to rely on my BUIS. YES, I now carry spares each and every time! Have had NO issues lilke that with the AimPoint - but I carry two spares for it as well.
Hmm...that's bizarre considering Eotech's turn off automatically after 8hrs. I would get it looked at if is staying on till it drains.

I just leave my Aimpoint M4s on all the time, and dont even think about it. My wife is pregnant and my baby will be in Kindergarten before it comes time to change batters...

I still prefer Eotech though.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Are you actually turning it off or are you setting it to either low level or to NV mode? It looks off but isn't.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Even if you just set it to NV mode it will shut off after 4 or 8 hours (depending how you turned it on) if no buttoms are pushed. Red, you may need to call L3 about your sight.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Shit, I dunno man...

When we is all tore up smokin' an drinkin' an shootin' out street lights an such, I could very well be leavin' it on... :duh:

OK, to be serious... it HAS been working fine - but maybe the problem is more fundamental - in that I am using it for a couple hours, higher brightness because I'm outside in sunlight... and it drains faster?

...OR maybe its them CHEAP (read that to be FREE) batteries I get from work!

I'll try a new/fresh batch of Duracell's and let y'all know how it goes before I send it off to have it looked at.

What kind of batteries and life do you guys get out of your 'AA' EoTech?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts