XCR Forum banner

Which gas setting do you use?

5K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  gr8santini 
#1 ·
The topic "New XCR owner vs. ammo" go me thinking about gas setting. As per instructions, I had mine set at 4 during break-in and up to about 500 rounds. No problems. I then went to the 2 setting and have put about 200 rounds through it, also without problems. I mainly use American Eagle, but have also shot UMC and PMC.

So, what setting do y'all use?

#10 ·
I have the new gas system, and followed the factory directions (#4) for the first 300 rounds. It was really slinging the brass, and I have no doubts it would have run with a lower setting. Since then I haven't run anything higher than 2.

For now, 2 would be my "reliability" setting; maybe 3 at a high round count, if that proved to be needed. Usually at the range now I run #1 just so I don't have to chase the brass as far. Haven't had any issues, but I haven't shot any crap steel case on #1 either.

#12 ·
My opinion is still that the XCR recoils more than my other .223s, though I have never done any direct comparisons on #1 vs. my ARs. My ARs are all light-under-the-handguards milspec barrels. I would say the XCR recoils the lightest on #1 if I remember correctly, and the most with the gas turned all the way off.

I will qualify that by stating that most of my XCR shooting has been done with irons, and the ARs have optics mounted. For a true apples to apples comparision I really need to get a scope on the XCR first.

The lightest recoiling .223s I've shot both both belong to my buddy, one being the M96, which seems to be very light recoiling, and the other is his Highpower AR; definitely the lightest recoiling .223 I've tried. I don't really count that one though; it weighs 12-14 lbs or something.

#13 ·
A agree, my XCR seems to recoil more than my Ars. I suspect this is due to the mass of the oprod, carrier and bolt as the whole assembly moves backwards.

It runs fine on setting 2 however.

#15 ·
Loads, take it off and try. I have one on my XCR and a .308 version on my FAL.

#16 ·
I shot the first 100 rds. at p-4.
Cleaned and turned it down to p-3 for the next 100 rds.
Cleaned and turned it down to p-2 for the next 300-400 rounds.
Then my paperwork for my can came in.
Cleaned it and turned it down to p-0 for the can.
Shot it a little. Shot it a little again.
Shot it some more and then I took the can off to check the POA / POI repeatability.
It ran fine. I have the old gas system so, I did not turn the gas back up.
I forgot about the setting period.
But the gun ran fine at zero!
Like I said, I forgot about the setting so, I did not think to watch the ejecting cases to see how far they were traveling.
It ran.....
Ammo was FC XM193

Craig...

#18 ·
I still have mine on setting 4 after approximately 600 rounds but plan on switching it down to setting 2 today before I head out tomorrow.

#20 ·
I settled in on setting 2 for my old gas block and I had no problems with any ammo including Wolf steel case. I have since converted to the new gas block system but haven't had a chance to test fire it yet. I am tempted to try setting 1 as I understand the new gas system is much more efficient.

#28 ·
I shoot the hot stuff too like AE and such and still only functions reliably at setting 4 and maybe setting 3. Have about 1200 round through mine now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.