XCR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, guys, I realize this is a loaded question but I thought it would be interesting to hear from anyone interested in joining in on the conversation. There are all kinds of questions one may ask in order to answer this question like "what is your intended purpose?". Look, I already have a variety of firearms in the calibers RA offers. I'm just interested in hearing perspectives on the M and on the L. Not which is better. I'm thinking about buying both but my hesitation is as follows. I already have a 308 bolt gun and a 308 AR platform (POF Revolution). I'm thinking about selling the Revolution and buying the M. Should I? Why? What is the benefit of having the M if my only interest is the 6.5 CM conversion which I would prefer to shoot out of a bolt gun. Also I am trying to decide on what barrel length to get in the L for each conversion - my preferred being 556, BO and 6mm ARC (when it is released). A lot here but perhaps you would like to provide your opinion and experience. Thanks. Looking forward to a conversation.

·
Registered
22,125 Posts
Ok, guys, I realize this is a loaded question but I thought it would be interesting to hear from anyone interested in joining in on the conversation. There are all kinds of questions one may ask in order to answer this question like "what is your intended purpose?". Look, I already have a variety of firearms in the calibers RA offers. I'm just interested in hearing perspectives on the M and on the L. Not which is better. I'm thinking about buying both but my hesitation is as follows. I already have a 308 bolt gun and a 308 AR platform (POF Revolution). I'm thinking about selling the Revolution and buying the M. Should I? Why? What is the benefit of having the M if my only interest is the 6.5 CM conversion which I would prefer to shoot out of a bolt gun. Also I am trying to decide on what barrel length to get in the L for each conversion - my preferred being 556, BO and 6mm ARC (when it is released). A lot here but perhaps you would like to provide your opinion and experience. Thanks. Looking forward to a conversation.
I have both the POF Revolution (DI) and 2 XCR-Ms. Don't sell the Revolution for an M....it's freaking light weight for a .308. The M is a pig. Don't get me wrong, if I could only have one, it would be the M...but it's substantially heavier.

BBL length for 5.56...probably 16" if you're looking for the best ballistics for the overall size.

BO obviously is designed to not lose much from really short bbls. Depending on use sub 12" would be fine.

No idea on 6mm ARC or if that's even going to take off with RA or the market in general and probably depends on how things shake out with possible gun bans.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
+1 on pretty much everything Sean said, and also......you didn't mention accuracy....but I'm assuming it matters to you if you're currently in love with 6.5cm. We've discussed accuracy at length, and while there are a few things we've discovered can be done to tighten the platform up, the XCR is combat accurate.....for some of us DMR/SPR accurate. Now there was a fella who would post pics of sub moa groups in these threads (you'll find him if you search for accuracy threads 'Owtlaw'), but here's the truth, he's at least friends with Alex (may be sponsored), shoots hand loads and iirc lives in Utah close to Robarm.....that's the exception. Alex brags on social media about sub moa performance but.....he's also real quick to never guarantee accuracy, or say anything even close to "all our rifles perform like this" and even when engaged directly won't ever say "this is what you can expect." It's always along the lines of "this specific rifle in the picture is a sub moa gun, if you'd like to start your own sub moa journey visit Robarm.com."

If you don't have a 6.5 bolt gun yet, hot damn do you have options. Bergara, Ruger, Savage all have sub MOA offerings in the under 2k range, some well under. The best thing about them is they're all diagnostically accurate, which is one thing the XCR really can't do. You can learn to be handy with an XCR, but it won't teach you how to shoot fast and accurate past 100 yards. A laser beam is one of the best teaching tools a shooter can invest in. Once the load and scope are dialed, when you miss, its shooter error. I'm not seeing the average off the shelf M, compete with your POF in the accuracy dept....and to reiterate, no contest in the weight dept.

That you already have a (good) 308 gas gun, and want to throw creedmoor out of bolt gun, maybe the play here is get an L and a bolt gun, get to know them, and then see if you think the M is worth the investment/tinkering?

Reactions: Sean K.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sean K, thanks for your encouragement not to sell the Revolution. Love this rifle. I looked up the weight of the M and was surprised at 9.25lbs vs 7.3. This has been my instinct (to keep it).

I’ve been considering getting a 6.5cm barrel with a WTO switchlug for my 308 bolt gun but feel that once I start shooting 6.5cm I’ll never put the 308 bbl back on. So probably go with a dedicated 6.5cm rifle.

TexasChris, yes accuracy is pretty important (understatement). Thanks for that discussion. Having a mag fed accurate rifle has its place no doubt (why I like the Revolution). You hit my buttons with the “hot damn you have some options” something I’m researching now. I’ve seen the Bergara and wondered about its following. Will do some more research.

You’ve both affirmed my gut on keeping the Revolution, getting CM in bolt and going with the L if I decide to take the XCR plunge. I’m intrigued with the ability to have one upper and lower with the ability to change bbls/calibers. Is it just a gimmick or does it have real world value?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I put a lot of of very good factory 308 ammo through my M, with the accuracy update. Best I could get was an about 1.25". I'm not a match shooter and don't have any specialized training but same day, same ammo my stock rem 700 was putting 3 on top of each other.

I like the M but wouldn't waste my time with 6.5 unless you can start getting it at surplus prices.

I've got a 6.5 bergara hmr in a magpul pro chasis with some other goodies. Unfired. I don't, and won't, have time in the foreseeable future to do anything with it. I can get you details if you're interested.

Might.....might... have an L for sale as well.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Sean K, thanks for your encouragement not to sell the Revolution. Love this rifle. I looked up the weight of the M and was surprised at 9.25lbs vs 7.3. This has been my instinct (to keep it).
....and don't forget, if you're stretching it out figure 2lbs for scope/mount that will get the job done + (suppressor?) + bipod + full magazine....

I’ve been considering getting a 6.5cm barrel with a WTO switchlug for my 308 bolt gun but feel that once I start shooting 6.5cm I’ll never put the 308 bbl back on. So probably go with a dedicated 6.5cm rifle.

TexasChris, yes accuracy is pretty important (understatement). Thanks for that discussion. Having a mag fed accurate rifle has its place no doubt (why I like the Revolution). You hit my buttons with the “hot damn you have some options” something I’m researching now. I’ve seen the Bergara and wondered about its following. Will do some more research.
You're welcome man. For what one more internet rando's opinion may be worth, I have an RPR in 65cm. It shoots bugholes with Hornady ELD and AG 140's, and will hold sub moa ish with SST 129's, although SST's start to open up fast at around 500, a thing I never got to the bottom of because I already had 2 proven rounds.

The only thing I wish I'd seen coming was ammo. I miss the summer prices. That said, you can still find FGMM .308 for a dollar a round and good brass cased surplus for .60-.70c pr. 65 is 2.50 a round if you can even find it. to do over again (summer time prices were .60c a round for FGMM vs 1.29) I might have done the RPR in .308 or the same caliber in another platform all together (it's also an anchor.)

When I throw in ammo cost and availability, ballistic similarity to 600 ish (though I do shoot further than that, the majority of my shots are actually right around that, 500-750) on top of the +6x barrel life advantage .308 enjoys.........

You’ve both affirmed my gut on keeping the Revolution, getting CM in bolt and going with the L if I decide to take the XCR plunge. I’m intrigued with the ability to have one upper and lower with the ability to change bbls/calibers. Is it just a gimmick or does it have real world value?
I thought it was really cool on paper.....literally never done it, and a very high likelihood that I never will. Re-zero testing has been spotty, and while the swap may only take me 2 minutes, before I reconfirm z I've got a fancy noise making club.....rezeroing takes time and money. If I want to collect calibers, it means additional complete gats....obviously individual mileage varies. Some folks really dig the whole zeroing ritual from start to finish, might even look forward to it....who knows.....I'm not one of em. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put a lot of of very good factory 308 ammo through my M, with the accuracy update. Best I could get was an about 1.25". I'm not a match shooter and don't have any specialized training but same day, same ammo my stock rem 700 was putting 3 on top of each other.

I like the M but wouldn't waste my time with 6.5 unless you can start getting it at surplus prices.

I've got a 6.5 bergara hmr in a magpul pro chasis with some other goodies. Unfired. I don't, and won't, have time in the foreseeable future to do anything with it. I can get you details if you're interested.

Might.....might... have an L for sale as well.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
,XCR- L in 5.56, 16 " light barrel. No brainer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts