XCR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I would certainly be interested assuming it was a good design/proper height/adjustability to work with existing rear BUIS out there.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I for one haven't seen a need for one. I, like most people here, have experienced a loose gas block screw. if that isn't caught and rectified it could mean a loose front sight. just a thought...I haven't had mine come loose since the very first time. After that I torqued it down and haven't had issues. If we are looking at possible points of failure I would hate to have to rely on a BUIS and find out it was a little loose.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
It might have been implied with the XCR-M stuff but I didn't recall seeing new sights listed on Terra's post from Alex.

I'm so used to the sights I have on there now I probably wouldn't swap unless I broke them.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I'm sure it's tough to design a gas block mounted, windage and elevation adjustable front sight. But I really want to be able to switch caliber/barrel and not have to worry about re-zeroing/swapping optics.

To be honest, I'm surprised this wasn't figured out before the cal conversions started going out. Especially the 7.62x39 ones...

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The advantage would be (for elevation at least) that you could swap barrels and have a different front sight on each barrel. Therefore there would be less need to rezero the irons when swapping barrels.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
The design is actually pretty simple. The benefits are also huge as you could maintain zero on each barrel and then simply cowitness your optics to the irons when you change barrels. Unfortunately it's likely to take a long time to get through to production. We've been waiting over a year for the XCR-M, almost a year for the new trigger and about the same for the 6.5 kits. Heck, the 7.62x39 took three years to come out.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The problem is that you are still going to have to make a correction for windage anyway, so if you have to do that, what is a little elevation correction as well at that point? Nothing.

Therefore, I don't see it as a big advantage even if it was available. As I said, I would be interested, but it is further down the list of things I would like to see released. It would also be a significant cost adder if you wanted to put one on every barrel.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
What correction for windage?

If the front sight is adjustable for windage and elevation all you need to do is leave the rear sight at zero. that way when you change barrels your iron sights are always set to a 100 yard zero.

This is how machiine guns are zeroed, so you can change barrels every 100-200 rounds in sustained fire, and keep functioning.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
The M240 uses an adjustable front sight.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
The M240 uses an adjustable front sight.
Didn't you guys call it the "Jimpie" or something like that?! GPMG. But yep, 240, 249, all adjustable for windage/elevation on the front sight. I think the SCAR is as well.

It's a good idea for those that swap calibers or barrels. For me, don't see much utility.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
gimpy, slang for General Purpose Machine Gun. or GPMG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts