XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to why people hate the 556 so much? My buddy bought one and I thought it was a pretty solidly built (maybe a bit heavy) rifle. If you're well familiar with the AK the charging handle's really not that big a deal. (The XCR is in a way better position though.) I've also heard it looks like it was put together by a three year old. Hell if it works, it works.

I still love the AR platform, but my next purchase will be replacing the XCR I (FOOLISHLY) sold (IDIOT!!!) with the PDW. I wouldn't be averse to buying the 556 pistol and SBRing it, I just like the XCR too much not to buy it again.

So seriously, is it because it's ugly and heavy? So's Brock Lesnar but unfortunately he dethroned the great Captain America.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
1) it's ugly
2) front heavy
3) it's ugly

The above are just the major points. Now if you compare it to the XCR, it falls way short. Here is what the XCR has over it:

1) quick barrel change
2) monolithic upper
3) light/heavy barrel option
4) can use any AR style sights you want
5) multi-caliber capable

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All good points, and I agree that the XCR is more versatile.

But why all the hate? It's still a damn good gun. If I owned them both, (come on Mega Millions...) I would just like the XCR better. Until the Sig catastrophically malfunctioned on me.

I guess I'm just curious if anyone's had a bad experience with the 556 other than the weight, and "Man I hope no hot girls see me shooting this gun!"

I'm a fan of Sig products. I carry a P250, I own a P226R Elite and my work gun is a P226N. Relentless Reliability.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
The problem is not the 556. The problem is SIG USA

Swiss SIG carbines are known for being some of the toughest and best in the world. However, SIG USA is not offering a product that lives up to those standards. They are capitalizing on the name and reputation of Swiss carbines and dumping a substandard product onto the American public.

Every element of the 556 features materials, proofing and QC that is inferior to Swiss SIG's 55x family of weapons, resulting in a gun that just is not very good in terms of durability or reliability with some of the worst ergos of any gun released in recent memory. This on top of being ugly as hell with Chicom quality bits and pieces thrown in for good measure.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I own a couple of Sigs myself, both CPO's, a P229 and P220. The P229 has 5000 rounds by me through it alone. I have no clue how many went through it before I owned it. It is my most heavily used gun and has never given me any problems.

You can say I am a Sig fanboy, but just because I love their handguns, does not mean I am going to give them a ringing endorsement for their over priced and poorly put together rifle. I would chose manyy guns over the 556, not just the XCR.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well I think in general if you are on a particular weapon's fan site, then that weapon will tend to be hyped up on average just a tad beyond what it can live up to. Now obviously I think the XCR is a fine weapon or I wouldn't have gotten one. But I can tell you that while it is certainly not an ugly gun I sure didn't buy it for the looks. If anything its a little on the "plain" side as far as looks. And I happen to think the Sig 556 is a pretty good lokking weapon. I have the P556 pistol and did buy that one more for the looks than I did the XCR. So there you go. Its all a matter of taste.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Looks are subjective; personally I think the XCR is one of the best looking rifles out there... but looks aren't really germaine to the discussion.

What I still can't figure out is why the XCR and 556 comparisons seem to remain fairly constant. It is basically the same as asking "should I get this XCR, or a 5.56 Arsenal AK???" or "should I get this 556 or this FN SCAR??" but you never hear those.

The only things the XCR and 556 have in common is that they were released somewhat around the same time, and they both shoot 5.56. Other than that, they are completely different rifles, with with different classes of feature sets, intended for different purposes. Its an apples to oranges comparison.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
This is a 556 vs XCR issue. Even if the XCR didnt exist the 556 would still be substandard when compared with other carbines in the SIG family. This is the problem.

If SIG had built the 556 to the same standards as the 55x there would be less opposition.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree that compared to the craftsmanship of the old 55X series rifles, SIG USA has fallen a little short. Other than being let down by the aesthetics, has anyone really had any major issues besides the disappointment of the rifle not meeting the "looks" category?

So far I've never heard anything really bad about the Sig other than looks. Ergonomically the charging handle is on the same side as the AK, the mag release is a bit of a reach, (ideally I believe there should be a paddle release!) but other than that, it's STILL a good rifle.
Let me stress that I will purchase the XCR PDW when it becomes available over the 556 pistol. I just still believe the Sig is a good rifle. Honestly, I still love me M4 and it's been reliable as hell. Even before the piston conversion.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I don't think it is an apples to oranges comparison. In my book, it is fair comparison, basically both are 16" rifles that shoot 5.56.

- one has ugly plastic hanguards and don't even come with rails
- one is really front heavy
- one has special sites and won't let you use standard AR sites
- one has the charging handle on the wrong side
- one does not have a quick barrel change feature
- one does not have multi caliber capabilities.

Now I know all the above are nitpicks and you can do without. So for me it all came down to looks. If the Sig was halfway decent looking, I would have bought it instead of another AR. I even put a $100 deposit on the 556. Lucky for me my dealer refunded my deposit because 2 other people were in line wanting one.

When the XCR came out, I thought it just looked badass. I figured I would take a chance on it since I heard great reviews on it, butI also realized these days everything seems to have a great review. The kicker for me in purchasing my XCR was because of the 7.62x39 Caliber Conversion. I wanted a modern Ninja rifle that shot the AKM round, and had Picatanny Rails that I can attach all the doo-dads too, such as modern optics, lights, etc.

For $2000 I have a rifle that comes with 2 barrels, shoots both 5.56 NATO and 7.62x39 Soviet, Monolithic upper that has rails at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. I can also use AR stuff on it, such as MIAD pistol grip or Troy Sites.

For me the choice was obvious, if you choose Sig and believe it to me the right choice, then I won't fault you one bit. Not all of us can love Angelina Jolie, someone has to Rosanne Bar.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Cartman pretty muchs sums it up. The XCR is more rifle at a better value. If Robarm had the marketing department that SIG has more people would know about them. I thought the 556 felt cheap when I handled it.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will definitely not knock the XCR's amazing features and versatility. Sure it has many, many features that make it more attractive to someone wanting to buy a good rifle.

What I'm trying to find out and the point I'm trying to make, is why the hatred of a rifle that though it doesn't offer the features, and it may be ugly, still performs solidly? As I said earlier, I would (and will) buy the XCR over the Sig. I just think there are too many people that hate it because it's not an XCR.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I will definitely not knock the XCR's amazing features and versatility. Sure it has many, many features that make it more attractive to someone wanting to buy a good rifle.

What I'm trying to find out and the point I'm trying to make, is why the hatred of a rifle that though it doesn't offer the features, and it may be ugly, still performs solidly? As I said earlier, I would (and will) buy the XCR over the Sig. I just think there are too many people that hate it because it's not an XCR.
I can see how you would get that view point from the post, however I think what really bothers a lot of people, is Sig is known for its quality and the 556 is not demonstrating the quality that we expect from Sig. Its really just disappointment. IF I had a choice between the an AR and 556, I would go with the AR. The 551 is what everyone wants... Its a battle proven rifle and has good ergo etc.... The 556 just doesn't measure up. To me it looks like a rush job.... :2cents:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Again, this isn’t about the XCR vs 556. I honestly don’t know why people insist on making this the argument. This is nothing more than a big distraction.

If Alex had never thought of the XCR, if it never existed, would that suddenly make the SIG 556 a better gun? Obviously no.

Not dealing with the product as it sits on its own or among its peers in the SIG family is a defense mechanism for justifying a purchase. It's far easier to say XCR owners hate the 556, than to say "I bought a piece of shit knock off of a well built legendary firearm, but I cant accept its a piece of shit, so I blame the XCR"

It's no different than people who buy a Century Arms CETME, but swear up and down it's as good as an HK91

You can say it's about looks, and it is...partially. The low rent chicom plastics have a way of doing that to guns. But more than anything it's because the 556 is built like shit by 55x standards. Now that's okay with some. Their standards are low. That is not okay with a great many others, which is why the 556 is something of comedy relief at this stage. 556 owners are desperately seeking an adversarial firearm that the 556 can be matched against and come out on top so they can feel good about their shitty toy.

How about this…If money were not a factor, and you could buy a real SIG 55x carbine, would you even bother with the 556? I sure as hell wouldnt. SIG knows this which is why they do their best to never have a 55x and 556 too close together for direct comparisons

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
What VB said. Even if there was no XCR I would not buy the Sig 556. I like the 552 though. Not really a XCR vs. Sig either. If you like the Sig then thats all that matters. If you want to think I hate the 556 because I own a XCR, then you are free to do so.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good points VB. I wonder if the stock and locking mechanism on the new 556 Classic feels as solid and locks as perfectly as the 55X series. We got to play with a couple in Germany and they are beautifully manufactured.

A couple buddies and I walked into a German guns hop, (you would never guess it was there) and they had the G36K, 552, Benelli M4, B&T MP9 with side folding stock and B&T Suppressor, hanging from the walls. H&K & Sig parts, magazines galore. We asked how much the G36K was. 740 Euro. In Germany, they don't care about SBR's or Suppressors. Those are both over the counter for them. Their only concern was full auto. Receivers aren't too big a deal. Bolts, and Barrels are what they weld up or cut. The ranges over there were just beautiful as well.

A couple weeks later we went to a Militaria show. Any picture, portrait, or likeness of Hitler had to have a sticker over his mustache. Hilarious! They had a WWII Thompson M1A1 receiver for $250 Euro. What a gold mine they're sitting on!

·
Registered
22,174 Posts
The problem (as everyone has stated....I'm just agreeing) is that the 556 is no 55X series.

I'd gladly plunk down the $2800+ for a 552, but really wouldn't consider the 556 for $1100.

Personally, I like the overall look of the 556 better than the XCR (I know, no accounting for taste)....but I much prefer the 552 to either in terms of appearance.

What the XCR has going for it is bang for the buck. Easy, quick and reasonably priced caliber changes (I love my other 6.8 AR), a stronger than AR style bolt, built in rail, gas piston, stanag mag capable (so it works with all the AR mags I already invested in), and better ergos than the 556.

Now, if SIG pulled their heads out of their asses and started selling a real 552.....then I'd reconsider my XCR purchase to some extent, but the QD caliber/bbls, and great ergos would probably still force me to buy the XCR.

JMO,
Sean

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I'll tell you this much, once you start appreciating QD barrels, its a feature that is very tough to give up. Rebarreling is one of the biggest pain in the ass chores when it comes to maintaining high round count guns.

People who rarely shoot dont even notice because they have no cause to want a new barrel.

Then obviously there is issue of going from SBR to 16" at will. I personally dont want 4 uppers just to do quick changes in barrel length.

It's a borderline mandatory feature for me at this point.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The plus side to having different barrel length uppers is that your dope never shifts when going from one to another.

VB, I've noticed your SBR, did you get the barrel cut or buy an 11"? I'm just wondering how much your Point Of Aim/Point Of Impact changes when swapping different barrels.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts