XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
The XCR feels a lot more solid to me. I haven't shot the Sig, but I have not heard anything negative with regards to how it shoots. I just think you get more for your dollar with the XCR, including multiple caliber capability, full-length rails as a standard, and better ergonomics.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Nope, and wrong area.

We put the SIG types in the General Discussion area and then beat them over the head.

If we didn't like our XCRs better we wouldn't be here.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Nothing wrong with asking a question.Never,I repeat NEVER feel like you can't,Even if it's not XCR related,it does not have to be.The whole point of a public forum is to share and discuss information,even if it's as specific as to pertain to one type of firearm,doesn't mean others can't be and are not regularly discussed.Asking questions is one of the best ways to learn,and only stupid people don't quest for knowledge,and because of that they will remain stupid.Obviously we don't all share the same opinions about certain things either so just because you don't,doesn't give us the right to rag another's,disagree with certainly but not to bash someone else's choice because it's not your own.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I agree. There's nothing wrong with asking the question. The Sig isn't a POS, it's a nice rifle. There are some songs it can't sing that the XCR can, like end-user barrel changes, running an Eotech without skinning your fingers with the charging handle, and having a monolithic upper.

I keep hearing about the Sig being produced in mass numbers, which is true, but Sig sure isn't passing on a savings to the buyer with economies of scale. If anything, the XCR should cost more than the Sig considering its relatively small production numbers. The caliber conversion is really attractive to me, too. I have a ton of 5.56 rifles, but I like something with more punch, which is why I ordered a 6.8 conversion. This is where the SCAR is weak too; it's a lot of money to pay for what ends up being a mouse-gun.

The continuous improvement by Robarm has been a big plus. I remember shortly after I first bought my XCR, I talked to Alex on the phone about the gas system. I didn't like bringing a wrench to the range in case I needed to adjust the valve. A few months later, Robarm released the new valve and piston, which smoothed out the rifle's operation (it was already smooth) and fixed my complaint. I'm looking forward to the ambi-mag release, the new trigger, and the new stock.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Nothing wrong with asking a question.Never,I repeat NEVER feel like you can't,Even if it's not XCR related,it does not have to be.The whole point of a public forum is to share and discuss information,even if it's as specific as to pertain to one type of firearm,doesn't mean others can't be and are not regularly discussed.Asking questions is one of the best ways to learn,and only stupid people don't quest for knowledge,and because of that they will remain stupid.Obviously we don't all share the same opinions about certain things either so just because you don't,doesn't give us the right to rag another's,disagree with certainly but not to bash someone else's choice because it's not your own.
I'll disagree, this is the ROBAR section of the forum to start with, so it should be related to them, XCR, or very specific question on the items we are all interested in (trigger kit, 6.8 in the 1-11 twist, stock etc).

So, at the very least move it into the general discussion area, or the free for all section.

Personally, I am not the least interested in the SIG, and for sure not on this part of the forum.

Call me crabby, Alaska is famous for them.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
XCR offers better ergonomics, more features, mag release and bolt release are better placed, milled/forged receiver as opposed to stamped, longer sight rail, takes AR grips, better stocks, no cheap plastic hand guards to break, better gas system, free floating barrel, different barrel options, easier break down for field stripping, need I go on?

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I'll disagree, this is the ROBAR section of the forum to start with, so it should be related to them, XCR, or very specific question on the items we are all interested in (trigger kit, 6.8 in the 1-11 twist, stock etc).

So, at the very least move it into the general discussion area, or the free for all section.

Personally, I am not the least interested in the SIG, and for sure not on this part of the forum.

Call me crabby, Alaska is famous for them.
You mentioned twice now that you don't care for the SIG,that's fine.Don't you think that stating your reason for not liking it would be more constructive to the discussion? So what he put it in the wrong area,he's new aren't we all allowed a few mistakes.It's not the end of the world.I think people get too bent about what area a topic is in anyway,sure you should make an effort that the whole point of subdividing topics,but I mean damn is is THAT important? To give someone the impression we "then beat them over the head" because we don't like their opinion is not the best way to get someone to be objective about your viewpoint.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
K, enough sugar coating and hand holding.

The 556 is a hunk of shit, period. Its the worst product introduced by a major firearms manufacturer since Colt's All American 2000. It is substandard by any measurement and not even close to obtaining parity with the XCR

It gets nearly everything wrong you can get wrong. The build quality is utterly dreadful. It has that squishy, flaccid, super soaker trigger. The top rail assembly blows. With a quad rail it is the heaviest 16" carbine sold; even without the quad rail its heavier than the XCR, but lacks all features we would expect from a 21st century carbine. All the stocks and sights suck, including the cheap cast Classic model's sights. It's sold with that crappy "shoot your friend in the face by accident" trigger activated tactical light (LOL).

Then SIG has the balls to throw in that Chicom Aimpoint T1 knock-off and expect people to take the product seriously. The 556 is prone to rusting, and launching pistons downrange. The SIG factory magazines are laughable.

And to top it all off, the 556 has horrible ergos. The mag release is poorly located, as is the safety and charging handle.

And best of all, this turd will cost you more than an XCR. Woohoo!

And yes, this topic is in the wrong section and needs to be moved to Endless Debate and Whining

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I can't say I don't agree about the SIG.One thing I don't get is why SIG markets the 556 as a 21st century carbine,when obviously it is not.In my opinion the 55x series is nothing more than a refined AK anyway,that's not meant to insult the original SIG,just that it offers nothing much in improvements on older technology.Even if Sig would have held the standards of the 556 to the level of the original it's still not a 21st century weapons evolution.I doubt Badkarma intended to spark a debate when he asked the question,he most likely just wanted an honest answer and had no idea the type of reaction he might get.I won't debate what section it should have went in because I honestly don't care.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Don't buy the Sig 556 (junk). Buy the Sig 551 ;D

But to keep a story short I still prefer the XCR to it even.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Look, if you like both, that's great. This forum is a great place to read about the XCR. However, it is also important to keep in mind that the people on this forum like/feel strongly enough about the XCR that they joined a forum about it. You always need to take into account the source.

I am like you and like both rifles. A long time ago, when this forum was just young, there was a very open and honest discussion of the pros and cons of each. Look around this forum. Don't just read the posts about how the XCR is great. Take the time to look at the problems people have had. No rifle is perfect.

Also remember that nobody on this forum has a monopoly on the truth. No matter what anyone says, how they say, how sure they sound, they are still just one dude (or dudette).

For example: People on this forum (I'm not trying to call out anyone in particular), say that the XCR has better ergonomics. That seems like a pretty subjective call, doesn't it? Are all people the same size? Are all people's preferences the same? If there is some set of objective criteria that determines good from bad ergonomics, I'm unaware of its existence.

If you are trying to decide between the two, you could try making a list of the differences between the rifles. Figure out what differences are most important to you and then make your decision based on that.

·
Registered
268 Posts
... If there is some set of objective criteria that determines good from bad ergonomics, I'm unaware of its existence. ...
I think it probably does exist, none the less. I understand that personal preference is a factor, but I should think that some design features can be objectively critiqued. For example, the ability to operate the charging handle without unsholdering the weapon seems like a generally good idea, to me. I could not see how that could be easily done on my friend's AR-15, but then I'm a noob. Maybe someone here could explain how it could/should be done on an AR. Having controls located so that you don't have to change you're grip also seems like a good thing. I expect that the ability to allow an empty or malfunctioning mag to drop from the well by gravity could be a desireable thing. Some others on this forum could weigh in on any of these with an experienced opinion, I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
For example, the ability to operate the charging handle without unsholdering the weapon seems like a generally good idea, to me. I could not see how that could be easily done on my friend's AR-15, but then I'm a noob. Maybe someone here could explain how it could/should be done on an AR. Having controls located so that you don't have to change you're grip also seems like a good thing. I expect that the ability to allow an empty or malfunctioning mag to drop from the well by gravity could be a desireable thing. Some others on this forum could weigh in on any of these with an experienced opinion, I'm sure.
Sure. There are things that most people like. I doubt that many people prefer the M1/M14 safety over the AR/556/XCR thumb-style safety. However, when something goes to shit in your trigger group, it's a lot easier to get at and fix on the M1/M14 (you can remove and replace the entire trigger group in about 20 seconds). That feature may be a lot more valuable depending on the use or situation.

However, the relative importance of these features is different for everyone. Having a charging handle on the left side is great... unless you are left handed. Having any non-reciprocating, separate charging handle may be great for some people, but to other people it's one more moving part that can/will break.

Look at the ergos on an AK. I cannot flip the safety on and off that easily. The mag release is slower for me to use. There is no bolt release since there is no bolt-hold-open. Yet when I operate an AK, I don't use the safety, I rarely shoot to empty, and I never have jams. So, the ergos of the safety, lack of bolt-hold-open, and slower mag release are not particularly important. Furthermore, the location of the charging handle on the right side may slow down fixing malfunctions, except that I have yet to experience one.

I'm not saying the AK is better or worse than any other rifle. I am just trying to illustrate that the only person who can decide what rifle is better for you is you.

When I hear anyone say that, "This is the way it is..." I am immediately suspicious. I don't care if it's a gun store owner, a gun "aficionado", or a former SEAL/Delta operator. In the gun world we hear this shit all the time. People tell you, "Isosceles is better than Weaver." "Piston is better than DI." ".45 is better than 9mm." "Nobody should put shit on their rails." "HK mags are the best." "Pmags are the best." It never stops, it never changes, and it's always bullshit.

As far as the ergos involved with clearing malfunctions on an AR. I agree that the AR necessitates unmounting the weapon. However, if I experience a malfunction with a rifle, usually I'm unmounting the rifle and getting a quick visual of the bolt/chamber anyway. Not everyone looks at the chamber, and if you don't than the XCR will certainly decrease clearing time. However, that means that ergo is neither better nor worse for me.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I put a deposit on one, it came in like a year later, but I could not get past the hideous looks. Lucky for me someone else took it off my hands.

·
Registered
636 Posts
K, enough sugar coating and hand holding.

The 556 is a hunk of shit, period. Its the worst product introduced by a major firearms manufacturer since Colt's All American 2000. It is substandard by any measurement and not even close to obtaining parity with the XCR

It gets nearly everything wrong you can get wrong. The build quality is utterly dreadful. It has that squishy, flaccid, super soaker trigger. The top rail assembly blows. With a quad rail it is the heaviest 16" carbine sold; even without the quad rail its heavier than the XCR, but lacks all features we would expect from a 21st century carbine. All the stocks and sights suck, including the cheap cast Classic model's sights. It's sold with that crappy "shoot your friend in the face by accident" trigger activated tactical light (LOL).

Then SIG has the balls to throw in that Chicom Aimpoint T1 knock-off and expect people to take the product seriously. The 556 is prone to rusting, and launching pistons downrange. The SIG factory magazines are laughable.

And to top it all off, the 556 has horrible ergos. The mag release is poorly located, as is the safety and charging handle.

And best of all, this turd will cost you more than an XCR. Woohoo!

And yes, this topic is in the wrong section and needs to be moved to Endless Debate and Whining

:laughposter: :laughposter: :laughposter:

I agree. LOL

:patriot:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts