XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the benefits of a vertical grip on a rifle over the traditional way of supporting the front end of the rifle?

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
i do it for looks ;)

·
Registered
704 Posts
I like them for CQB and for times when I have to carry the gun for extended periods of time. I also like how easy they make working the tailcap on a light with the right mount.

When I want to shoot longer ranges or positions other than standing, it usually comes off.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I usually just hold the magwell/mag.
Me too. I tried several different vertical grips, but found the magwell to work best for ME.

Besides, I like the KISS approach! :2cents:

Hey, I just might do some karma giveaways! ;D

·
Registered
331 Posts
Accuracy advantage goes to the old way.
Speed in maneuverability goes to the vertical grip.
Comfort in low ready carry goes to the vertical grip.

Do what is comfortable to you then practice with it.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Speed in maneuverability goes to the vertical grip.
Comfort in low ready carry goes to the vertical grip.
Well, that's opinion.

I've got a like-new Knights Armament VFG in my parts bin. Even put it back in the original box.

I use the front of the magwell too - and so do the guys I run with. They're fast.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
"just my opinion" ;D ,but the magwell is faster and more comfortable to me too.The vert grip puts your hand out away from your body too far and your then supporting the weight of the weapon with your muscles and not your frame/bones.Think about that,which gives more stability especially on longer offhand shots? When your upper body is locked together and your hands being positioned closer together not only do you have more control,more leverage(if someone grabs the barrel and attempts a grab)you won't fatigue from of holding the weapon on target as rapidly.I don't give two shit's if it looks cool or not,the bottom line is does it REALLY work?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too was a staunch magwell holder before I went the Army’s close quarter marksmanship school. It's here on fort benning and was very informational. I have always taught “do what’s comfortable” when it comes to fore grip, cheek to stock weld, and general body position; they preach much the same with the exception of the fore grip.

They do a good job of teaching why they recommend a technique instead of just saying “do it like this because we said so.” Utilizing a vertical fore grip or gripping the stock approximately half way up grants the shooter greater control of muzzle rise. It also allows more muscle groups to be involved in supporting and aiming the weapon.

I have spent thousands of rounds deciding what was right for me and I ended up with a vertical foregrip about ¼ of the way from the magwell. I still recommend do whats comfortable but it helps to extend a little ways out on the stock.
:2cents:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jumping on the opinion bandwagon...

I find that with a longer/heavier barrelled rifle, I have more control with a vfg. The magwell hold places too much weight in front of my 'off' hand affecting balance. That's just me.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
And a lot of it has to do with your height, as it pertains to your arm length.

One of my good buddies is about a foot taller than me. He runs a VFG. When he tries to run, using the front of the magwell like I do, it looks almost comical. Like he's being folded up some.

Me? I run the front of the magwell.

At the last course, they were showing us a technique that was a bit new to me. Coming from my background, I'd always used my left hand as a support platform - this is much more aggressive in the hold though. When they showed me where my hand ought to be, based on stance, arm geometry, etc - the ridge of my left hand was touching the magwell ;D

That wasn't the case for everyone - or even most - but those more "vertically challenged" did better with a much closer hold.

That's why I said "that is opinion" - because it's very difficult to find two people made 100% the same >:D

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I tried various grips but to be honest the magwell lets me turn the rifle faster. Plus if the target is out a bit, then I revetn to holding the forearm as far forward as possible.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I would be open to using the magwell instead of a VFG (depending on the exact rifle/balance/forend weight), except that I shoot lefty, and if I hold the magwell with my right hand I've got a great chance of getting my thumb right on the ejection port. That pretty much rules it out for me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
When I do use a VertGrip its not very far from the magwell. About 1/4 of the way down the rail from the magwell. I usually don't bother with em unless I put a light on the weapon.

·
Registered
331 Posts
A mag well hold is a vertical grip as far back on the weapon as possible.
Where your grip needs to be is base on you.

My earlier point (not well made) is that it is a balance between manverability and stability.

If I was needing to engage at 150+ yards and I didn't need the light I would remove the grip.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I never gave it much thought,but height/arm length will have much to do with where the weapon balances or "feels" best to you.I'm six foot tall and when I use the magwell I usually have my left arm supported or tucked up next to my torso.When I do that it gives more support than just holding it out front with a vert grip using only muscle,it just feels rock solid to me.
It is all about what feels best and works best per your individual preferences/needs.I find that even heavy weapons work well with a magwell hold too.I have a semi-auto Thompson that weighs roughly eleven pounds,and it still feels better holding the magazine on that versus the vertical grip.Feel however is subjective to the end user.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts