XCR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... LMT love that is. I picked up this upper for her at the gun show this weekend. She has committed to doing a couple of carbine classes with me this year so I'm trying to keep it as light as possible. The whole gun weighs 1.3 pounds less than my 10.5" upper. I'll probably order her an Adams Arms piston kit, which will increase the weight a tad. But before I do that I'll add a PWS break to see how it shoots.

I was going to give her the LMT piston upper with 12" barrel but that sucker is too heavy. The setup you see here on my lower weighs in at 7.0 lbs.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have that same LMT upper and love it! :rockon:

I have an Aimpoint with Larue mount and MI BUIS on mine, along with an AAC Ranger suppressor, secured with a NordLock system.

I installed a GasBuster charging handle and it made it SO MUCH NICER to shoot.

I'm waiting on my LMT piston upper that Aussie ordered for me to come in now... ;D

Please post pics when you have it all together!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
nice upper :)

get some pics of that setup 1redgmc!

prizm, I've been pondering making a really lightweight carbine and I've been waiting for a reasonably priced cavarms lower to pop up. their lower is a pound lighter and would be good for one of these builds...

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
That is a nice looking upper, I am sure she will like it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Wife's been out of town and I'm gonna give her 10 1/2 inches of love tonight

I'll get pics when it's all together. I'm waiting on the paper work for a DPMS lower that I registered then I'll get final pics.
So here is the question... Do I get a piston kit or not? Here's my rationale: I want it to shoot as smoothly as it can without getting too heavy. My two SBR AR setups are 8.3 and 8.5 lbs. They have AA pistons and PWS bilock brakes and Enidine hydraulic buffers. So we're only talking a pound and a half or so difference. The piston gives a different, smoother recoil impulse. And when you shoot a DI gun next to a piston... you can tell. But maybe if I don't get her started she won't know the difference. Does that make sense? I already plan to put a brake on it and a buffer but truth be told I don't know if it will make much difference. My guns have Samson rails on them too, which I'm sure is heavy. That's why I left hers old school (I like the old school look though). Another thought is to get her an Aimpoint Micro, as I'm sure that will cut weight as well.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I would personally leave it as is and let her shoot it a bit. If she is anything like my wife she will be happy with it and content. Mine doesn't see the need to spend more to "make it better". After I spend the money she concedes that it is better but is usually happy with the gun the way it comes.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Wife's been out of town and I'm gonna give her 10 1/2 inches of love tonight

I would personally leave it as is and let her shoot it a bit. If she is anything like my wife she will be happy with it and content. Mine doesn't see the need to spend more to "make it better". After I spend the money she concedes that it is better but is usually happy with the gun the way it comes.
Noted, sir. I agree with you. I think the only think she might really like is a brake for it's effectiveness, but she absolutely hates the noise they create (as do I).

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
I am not even sure that a brake makes that much difference on a 5.56, not when you think of the trade-off for the noise, especially at 10.5". I hear nothing but good things for the new AAC Blackout flash hider and you can order it without the teeth from Brownells for less than what most want for a vortex.

I am going to send you a PM, I have some non-gun questions for you.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Nice upper. I agree with Aziator, keep it simple. Let her try different options off your stuff..... if she like something she will tell you. My wife likes it clean and simple. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Stick an Adams Arms piston kit on it.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Works well and keeps it clean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts