XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone has used these wilson combat unimags for 545.

Rectangle Auto part Font Engineering Plastic

Also how good are the pmag modifications where you cut the follower?
And is there any other news regarding 545 mags?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have only seen the arfcom thread about the pmag modification. They claim it works with 29 rounds I believe. I have not tried it yet as I only have a 5.45 krink. I do plan on picking up a 5.45 conversion if someone here can confirm the modification works perfectly.

As to those Wilson mags, it has 223/300 on it. Any reason to believe it will work with 5.45?

Edit: Oh I see 5.45 now under the photo as a product description. That might be worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have only seen the arfcom thread about the pmag modification. They claim it works with 29 rounds I believe. I have not tried it yet as I only have a 5.45 krink. I do plan on picking up a 5.45 conversion if someone here can confirm the modification works perfectly.

As to those Wilson mags, it has 223/300 on it. Any reason to believe it will work with 5.45?

Edit: Oh I see 5.45 now under the photo as a product description. That might be worth a try.

emailed wilson combat about the mag and it ended up being a typo. It is not meant for 5.45. which is a huge bummer.
yeah its looking like cutting the pmag follower is the best method for using polymer. (I also would really rather use polymer then steel ASC mags).
but pmags sound like its tough to get them to reliably feed more than 25rds. ideally id be fine with 29.
So are ASC's still the best option?
Itd be awesome if Robinson made their own polymer mag

·
Registered
22,964 Posts
It depends on the particular one and the cartridge you're feeding. I had to return some from my initial purchase, but all the ones that I have open now run 100% in 7.62x39 in multiple gun designs. They're even reliable on full auto in my M16.
My experience as well...with X39. Haven't tried them with anything else. You have to weed through them and I've experienced about a 1/3rd failure rate. If they work, they tend to just work.

I think roflcopters was the one that tried 6.5G in them and said they didn't work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just noticed all the 545x39 ASC mags are out of stock anyway.
guess im cutting up some pmags unless something else comes up. I'm also curious if modifying the follower on a hexmag or troy mag in a similar way might yield better results.
I talked to alex robinson for a little bit last year and he brought up the possibly of making his own mag, he said it kinda jokingly but it would be really neat if he did. I wonder how much the east would be interested in a 545 XCR

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'll try the Unimags in my 6.5Grendel AR15 to see how they do. Logically you'd think that if they'll run the heavily tapered 7.62x39 cartridge reliably they'd run everything, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The fact that they'll run 7.62x39 reliably given their shape is enough for me, but more is better. I also need to finish my 5.45x39 AR15 build.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gonna start cutting some polymer mags for 545 soon once the rest of them get there.
Gonna test
pmag, hexmag, lancermag, kcimag.
I have alot of troymags and would like to test it too since they fit so snuggly in my xcr magwell but they are an absolute bitch to take the follower out so i might pass. Gen 2 unimag came in too so ill compare with that

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Definitely keep us updated.

not done yet but so far not good.
RossDefense unimag gen 2 is extremely tight to the point where the 545 requires a lot of force to push out of the mag (might just need breaking in or something) cut a hexmag and pmag and both have an issue where theyll nose dive and the follower appears to get stuck causing the nose dive (i even sanded the follower). Stanag, troymag, lancermag, kci mag are next.

I'm a little worried i wont have a good mag option for when my 545 kit gets here

·
Registered
22,964 Posts
I'm a little confused. I remember reading 5.45 mags from ASC and Duramag (CProducts) were less than 100% reliable when I looked into the conversion for this years back. It would seem no one has any of these in stock and Duramag doesn't even list the 5.45 on their website.

What mag is RA supplying the guns with? (Just checked the website and the 5.45 is an option on the L currently). I wonder if you can just buy extra mags straight from RA.... Guessing they are ASC mags based on what RA typically supplies with their 7.62x39 guns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm a little confused. I remember reading 5.45 mags from ASC and Duramag (CProducts) were less than 100% reliable when I looked into the conversion for this years back. It would seem no one has any of these in stock and Duramag doesn't even list the 5.45 on their website.

What mag is RA supplying the guns with? (Just checked the website and the 5.45 is an option on the L currently). I wonder if you can just buy extra mags straight from RA.... Guessing they are ASC mags based on what RA typically supplies with their 7.62x39 guns.
I just noticed they added 545 as an option too (i had to contact alex for a custom 7.5" 545 kit last year) i see 11" is the shortest it goes.

I am also VERY curious what mag it ships with as well.

EDIT- nevermind, forgot i had to select the mini in order to see the shorter barrels (been awhile since i've been on the configuration part of the site), still super curious about that mag though

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alex Robinson got back to me and says the new 545 XCRs ship with the new generation of 545 ASC mags and says "they work perfectly".
good to hear he found a consistent mag.
The bad news is, I cannot find 545 ASC mags anywhere

·
Registered
22,964 Posts
Alex Robinson got back to me and says the new 545 XCRs ship with the new generation of 545 ASC mags and says "they work perfectly".
good to hear he found a consistent mag.
The bad news is, I cannot find 545 ASC mags anywhere
Right...which begs the question....if RA is getting them, I wonder if you can just order direct from RA....

Of course, the better answer is to email ASC direct and ask for the ETA on filling backorders.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
amazingly, the lancer mag fits 30 without needing to cut the follower.

*update: lancer mag looking like its gonna be the winner cause it requires the least amount of work. no sawing necessary, just some dremeling

1 - 20 of 25 Posts