XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the XCR hold up to Wolf ammo (poly-coated steel cased)? Any problems shooting 1000+ rounds of this stuff through the XCR? I've heard some nightmare stories about the effects of it on AR's and want to know if the XCR has similar issues.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Absolutely no issues for me although it appears a little underpowered and will require a higher gas setting.

·
Registered
923 Posts
most of what I shoot is Wolf or Silver Bear and I have not had any problems, if the weather is worm I can run it on Gas Setting 2 without a problem, if it is cooler out I can run it on Gas Setting 3 without problems. I think that this ammo is good for training because it is cheap enough that you can use it to learn muscle memory and it is decently accurate out to 150-175 yards or more, I would not use it for target practice or bet my life on it if I did not have to. :2cents:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Absolutely YES on gas setting 3 or 4. Some of it is really underpowered, so 4 isn't the worst of idea's, but I recommend no less than 3. However, some have ran it on the lower settings with no problem at all. I haven't tried, nor do I care to.

FWIW, I have over 8,000 rounds of Wolf through my XCR.

·
Registered
652 Posts
have shot many thousands of rounds of wolf and my only complaint is that it is a little on the lighter side. I have had no issues as far as dependability.

I have noticed that shooting the steel cases allows a bit more blow buy then if you shoot brass the softer brass expands more and you can get stuck case syndrome referred to by most nay sayers.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Also Alex and another friend of mine took a new XCR out of the box and fired 2,000 Brown Bear in one hour with no weapon/ammo malfunctions.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Wow, you guys have lots of Wolf through your guns. I can honestly say I have never shot a single round of wolf through anything I own. I had never even heard of it until a few years ago. By the time I had heard of it I guess I had enough ammo stockpiled that I didn't need to buy any more. How much is it now per 1000? I wonder if I can still reload for cheaper than buying it.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
...there is the famous (infamous?) Wolf "cat pee" smell. The newer stuff isn't as bad as their older fare I hear. :D

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
All but 100 rounds at most out of 15 K have been wolf. Mine runs on #1 for 300 rounds and then I have to go to #2.

Plenty accurate as well with wolf.

G

·
get it.

I have a theory as to wolf and stuck casings in general. after much experience with this, I have a working theory that it is DIRECTLY related to the amount of gas the operating system gets. If there is too little gas the timing of the bolt opening will be off. this is important with steel case stuff as it contracts at a different rate than brass thus leaving us with a smaller window to extract. excessive carbon build up or a slightly underpowered round could cause this to happen where the gun was "a bit too light with the gas" and the user was running low powered ammo like wolf anyway. the combination of the two could create the stuck case scenario with some frequency in some folks guns where other folks would have no problems at all. also the cut of the chamber and it's finish might be a major factor as well.

The XCR and guns with gas settings are particularly well equipped to deal with this issue. If you have any issues with the ammo at all then crank the gas up and keep shooting.

Here are a few OTHER things that may also help proper cycling:
-chrome lined barrel and chamber
-5.56 chamber
-regular cleaning
-proper lubrication (not too much not too little)

The XCR should have no problem running wolf. you should run it on 3 or 4 gas setting tho. when in doubt go higher.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I still think the issue has more to due with the case material. Steel doesn't expand like brass allowing a lot more blow by then the residue causes tolerance issues, especially when going back to brass after shooting steel.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
I bought some Wolf .62 JHPBT and at the range yesterday had 3 FTE (Failure to Eject). Not an issue with the XCR but the ammo and that fact that the lacquer coating apparently was melting and leaving residue in the chamber, thus making the fired shells stick in the chamber. This with the apparent brittleness of the shell the bolt shares off the lip of the case.
Sprayed some lube into the chamber area and it stopped.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was thinking about buying some Wolf as well but I have shot the Lacquered ammo and it would always jam in the tube. If they have stopped the lacquering their ammo it would be worth shooting.

So have they stopped Lacquering the rounds???

G

·
Marlon, What was the gas setting on your rifle?

Did you increase it?

The laquer on the case would be very difficult to melt IMO. I know that is the commonly held perception, but the AK was able to use the stuff for 60+ years without a problem even on full auto guns in may environments.

Frankly as I state above, I'm fairly confident that it's the amount of gas being sent thru the action and not the case coating.

·
Registered
568 Posts
My own limited personal testing confirms the test results of the ammo oracle.
For my purposes Wolf lacquer/poly steel cased ammo with copper plated, mild steel jacketed bullets is useful for training only. The Wolf Gold line of ammo with copper Jacketed bullets is a different animal.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts