XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, here are the latest pics of "BattleAxe" :rapidfire:, the new SBR I built out of my Kel-Tec PLR-16.

I used the stock conversion from Kel-Tec made for the SU-16C rifle and added the MagPul CTR stock and Ace folder.

As far as I know this is the first (only?) one of it's kind.

Just installed the Ace folding block yesterday. Makes for a lightweight, mean little package. >:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Holy cow what a beautiful rifle you have built.What caliber is it ? Enjoy Mike :party: :biggun: PS Thank's for the pictures

·
Registered
356 Posts
Nice work. What's the effective range on that?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thnx guys!

Michael, it is chambered for 5.56/.223.

XCR-Fin, don't know how to truthfully answer your question yet. More range play is needed, but I have read of guys getting 2" groups at 100yds with the PLR-16's 9 inch barrel.

Next up hopefully will be a short 7.62 X 39 XCR. 8)

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a pretty nifty setup .That looks like a folding M4 adapter that ACE sells ,is that correct? I have a couple questions.How is the trigger on the Keltec.What exact model did you use as a starting point,and how much was it?
Correct DTOM, that's the ACE folding block assembly.

Trigger is nothing to brag about, certainly not match, but not bad. Doesn't interfere with the type of shooting I do at all.

Started with the Kel-Tec PLR-16 long range pistol w/9-inch barrel. Price was $475 back in May of '06. I then added the Kel-Tec compact forend, KT stock conversion for the SU-16C rifle, (same FCG as the PLR), after completing a Form1 to the ATF of course, then the MagPul CTR stock, and an A2 birdcage FH. I have a LeVang Comp to go on the muzzle, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Optic is an EOTech clone. 8)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Badman,

That is a whicked cool weapon. I am considering doing the same w/the SK-16C. I really don't have the time or inclination to work w/BATF over the SBR issue. You didn't happen to document all of the steps you took to put that bad boy together?

Anyway, again OUTSTANDING!!!!

Dredd

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dredd, no documentation during. Sorry.

I was so into it like a kid with a toy, I forgot the outside world for a moment or two... ;D

Seriously, it was so simple I didn't stop to think it would merit documentation.

The trying part was waiting for the stamp. Took over 3 months. :mad:

DTOM, I usually shoot this stick with the straight up head stance, so no broken nose yet. 8)

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Badman,

I figured as much, its an USAF thing, I don't do anything w/out documenting it. Thank you for the inspiration though, I am going to be putting my own together while I am waiting for my XCR to show up. I also plan to work on an SKS and TAPCO stock. I figured I could do both for the price of XCR. Then get the 7.62X39 kit for the XCR...

Just trying to fill my gun vault with evil black rifles/ >:D

Thank you again,

Dredd

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
That is definitely WAY cool...

Makes my SBS 870 project look like last place at the science fair! ;D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Once my engraved receiver comes back, I'll have to refinish the barrel. Do you think Duracoat would be good for that?

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Badman,

Will you give us a range report? I would like to hear how it handled any malfunctions what ammo worked the best and magazine feeds etc...

I read a report about the Sk-16 and it was well received about 4 years ago. I beleive it chewed up the wolf ammo really good and was easy to control. The author even liked the intergrated bipod.

I hope you had a great holiday.

Dredd

1 - 20 of 25 Posts