XCR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am looking for a good holster for my XD. The one I have lets it hang way out, and i whack my arm on it constantly. I would like one that will tuck it closely against my side. If anyone has one, let me know.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Terra, I don't know how you feel about OWB paddle type, but Fobus makes a great paddle holster that fits close to the body and works great. The inside of the paddle part where it rests against your torso is coated with a rubber-like material that keeps the holster stable. And they're not too pricy at only about $25.

I have one I use for my XD-45, and another I use for my XD-40SC. The one that came with my XD-40(M) in the XD Gear box is not as good quality as the Fobus IMO.

A lot of people badmouth Fobus, but I have several of them and have always had good service out of them.

Hope this helps. 8)

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Here's the quick and dirty answer:
For leather:
(and a couple of months wait) inside the waistband - Milt Sparks Summer Special II
(and four to six months wait) outside the waistband - Lou Alessi DOJ 700 - tell him you want it "Dick Heinie style".

For Kydex:
(quick) inside the waistband - the least bad offender I've found is a Comp Tac Infidel
(quick) outside the waistband - a Blade Tech vertical drop. Mine is no longer on the website......

Of course, I don't have "girlie hips", so take everything I said with a grain of salt! Or, if you wanna come visit (or the next time I'm up there) I'll bring you some to try. They won't be for an XD, but you'll get the idea.......

·
Registered
115 Posts
Kramer Leather in Washington. I have used their IWB holsters for years and had great support when modifications have been required.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
A holster is a very personalized choice because everyone is shaped differently and has varying importance levels of comfort and concealability.

Are you looking at an outside the waistband holster or an inside the waistband holster?

For OWB, look at Blackhawk Serpas, along with Comptac and Bladetech's belt holsters.

For IWB, look to Comptac's MTAC or CTAC first, then if you like waiting 6-7 months for a holster a miltsparks versamax II, then there are some good choices from raven concealment if you got that far. I wouldn't look at summer special style iwb's, I think they suck-aren't as stable and don't conceal as well as an outside strut style holster imho.

and do not forget the BELT! that's probably just as important as the holster. Check out wilderness tactical, kramer gunleather, belt man, and comptac for those.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
+1 on the belt!

I've been using an instructor belt from The Wilderness (with the optional mid-level support). It's nothing short of wonderful.

On the Serpa, BEWARE. I took one to the SWAT course, it worked GREAT. Until we were doing what is commonly referred to as "officer down" drills. Ever try pulling a pistol on your right hip out - using your left hand only?

I was forced to do a "tactical trouser drop" to get the piece out. I'll never use that Serpa for most anything again.

Blackhawk does make a tension-only version of the Serpa. One of my buddies ran that one at the course, and had no problems in the same drills (reach your left hand behind you, draw, and go!).

FWIW

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
'tactical trouser drop' :laughposter:

I can do offhand manipulations with the serpa going to the front, but behind the back certainly would raise a problem. If you're concerned with that, the non-serpa model would be fine as you said.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
oh, bravo-you get any schwag from wilderness? wink wink nudge nudge :D

I absolutely <3 my 5 stitch tan instructor belt, but I bought it right before I went on a diet and lost almost 60 pounds so it don't work no mo' and I need another one :'(

G

·
dont buy a serpa.

My friend Dale Fricke makes some AWESOME holsters and they sell at One Source Tactical. If you'd like I can put you in touch with him personally and he'll whip you one up the way you want, and for a good price too (maybe even cheaper than OST if you tell him I sent you ;). He's kinda in need of some business right now, so, you'd be doing him a favor and getting some top quality gear as well. you wont be dissapointed.

PM me for his number.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I agree that holsters are subjective, and depend so much on personal preference and physical stature. I've had some that rub my love handles raw, so into the box they go.

Everyone says 6+ month wait on Milt Sparks - but I called the good folks at Lightning Arms and got not one - not two - but FOUR different VM2's (not all at the same time) and they were in my mailbox within 3 days.

They will be $130 from Lightning Arms - but well worth it.

http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm

I've tried nearly EVERYTHING out there (and have a box full of holsters to prove it) and I found that IWB Versa Max II is the most comfortable I've ever worn. In fact, I'm wearing one now - have had it on since about 6AM this morning - and hardly know its there. No other IWB (that I've tried) could provide 16+ hour comfort.

I also think that the Wilderness 5 stitch is the best. The 3 stitch seems to get too flexible too soon.

I also highly recommend to anyone looking for a superior backup knife - to consider a Ka-Bar TDI (the smaller one is my preference). In fact, I have two, one setup for each side - depending on what primary CCW weapon I am carrying.

Check 'em out - you will be impressed!

http://www.knivesplus.com/ka-bar-knife-tdi.html

I tried the metal law enforcement clip, and thought it sucked. Your experience may be better with that optional piece.

Everything else was GREAT. :2cents:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I recently got a Hybrid Holster from Brian Hoffner here in Houston, it took a few weeks and the thing was perfect. Part leather, part Kydex. Brian is a Houston cop and I've got three of his holsters, I highly recommend him. I've got a few Milt Sparks holsters as well and I wouldn't trade them for anything but, six months seems a bit long for something you need right now. Guys please don't misunderstand me, I know the leather from Milt Sparks is worth the wait and if time is no issue, go with them, otherwise give Brian a look. I'll try to post some photos with guns and holsters tonight.

You can get this in two tone or black. For you Terra, Brian could probably do red or hot pink >:D

http://www.hoffners.com/hyb.htm

Cruzzer

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
That hybrid holster looks AMAZINGLY like the one I run (and have more on order) from Lou Alessi.

If it had a "speed cut" on the front it'd be close to identical.

In other words, I like it (GRIN)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts