XCR Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22,174 Posts
Maybe my concern is unfounded in that case.

As for suppressors, it's size, weight, and signature reduction. I haven't found any flow-through designs that compare to higher-end baffle suppressors in those categories. My rifle is enough of a pig without hanging a 20oz OSS can on the end of it, which won't even suppress as well as a 12oz baffle can. Especially with an adjustable gas block to mitigate the increased backpressure, I don't see the point. I'm really interested to see what comes of the technology in the next few years, though, especially with advances in additive manufacturing.

Thanks for the input. I know the weight and sound reduction is better with some of the sealed cans. My .308 cans are 17 oz. but they are bigger diameter than I'd like (1.75" on my model). I'm more concerned with reliability and how much fouling ends up in the gun/mags and gas in the face. For me, hearing safe is all I'm really interested in since at any real distance (I'm not a fan of subsonics since they are effectively pistol rounds at that point) the signature is reduced enough to make it very difficult to locate position.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks for the input. I know the weight and sound reduction is better with some of the sealed cans. My .308 cans are 17 oz. but they are bigger diameter than I'd like (1.75" on my model). I'm more concerned with reliability and how much fouling ends up in the gun/mags and gas in the face. For me, hearing safe is all I'm really interested in since at any real distance (I'm not a fan of subsonics since they are effectively pistol rounds at that point) the signature is reduced enough to make it very difficult to locate position.
Yeah, that's understandable. I'm not too concerned with gas in the face or premature parts wear when I have 2-3 gas settings to play with under my unsuppressed setting, but we'll see when my can actually gets out of jail. 15oz is fairly light for flow through cans, are they direct thread or Ti?

·
Registered
22,174 Posts
Yeah, that's understandable. I'm not too concerned with gas in the face or premature parts wear when I have 2-3 gas settings to play with under my unsuppressed setting, but we'll see when my can actually gets out of jail. 15oz is fairly light for flow through cans, are they direct thread or Ti?
Mine are the old school MaxFlo 3D from NGSquared Defense @ 17 oz. The company has changed the name to X2DevGroup and have refined the designs. I think the newest cans are shorter but even larger diameter (1.98" IIRC)....and they've gotten better dB reduction with the new designs but are slightly heavier at 17.3 oz. No restrictions on bbl length and full auto rated. However, they are not Titanium (AFAIK).....and they are direct thread which is also probably a big weight saver.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Mine are the old school MaxFlo 3D from NGSquared Defense @ 17 oz. The company has changed the name to X2DevGroup and have refined the designs. I think the newest cans are shorter but even larger diameter (1.98" IIRC)....and they've gotten better dB reduction with the new designs but are slightly heavier at 17.3 oz. No restrictions on bbl length and full auto rated. However, they are not Titanium (AFAIK).....and they are direct thread which is also probably a big weight saver.
I've heard of them, really interesting designs, honestly more compelling than OSS when it comes to flow-through, but the lack of QD is a dealbreaker for me, unfortunately. I decided to go with a Rugged Micro30 which, although not hearing safe in the 9oz, 5" configuration, should at least keep my ears from ringing whenever I bump my earpro off.

·
Registered
22,174 Posts
No, I hear ya....QD is a big deal for a lot of folks. For me, I don't really like ANY of the brake/comp/flash hider options with QDs for cans....most are really long (I usually run ones as close to 2" OAL as I can get) which, to me, sort of negates the whole SBR concept. Gemtech's and Griffin's A2 mounts kind of hold an appeal (b/c there are a few brakes that are compatible) but sealed cans fouling and running around 300 rounds before failures start to me is a deal breaker.

The Micro 30 is cool b/c of how short it is....and that obviously also helps with weight.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I can not praise the Deadair keymo enough. It’s the best QD mount on the market.

All my cans have been converted to it and my form 1 can is as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 26 of 26 Posts