XCR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting for the 6.5 caliber XCR to come out before buying one. The question I have is what type of accuracy are owners getting with the XCR rifles with match ammo?

Everyone has different attribute priorities for their rifles. Two of the most important attributes for me are reliability and accuracy. I want a rifle that just plain works in harsh environments. I also want a rifle that consistently shoots sub MOA (1 inch at 100 yards).

I don’t hear a lot of info about the XCRs accuracy. Can the XCR consistently shoot sub MOA with match ammo?

I use to have a HK SR9-T .308 that was very reliable and very accurate, but I didn’t like the ergonomics. Hoping that the XCR might be that near-perfect rifle for me.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
This question has been addressed several times in the archives, but I'll give you the reader's digest version:

Odds are, the XCR is more accurate than you are, if you're using it the way a Rifleman would, and within the limitations of the cartridge.

If you're shooting from the slung / prone, the XCR is good to go. If you're shooting on the move, the XCR is good to go.

If you put a 12X optic on it, and shoot it from a bench (hey, LOTS of Riflemen carry their concrete benches with them in the field to kill game ::) ) at 800 yards, you'll be complaining that the guy with a benchrest bolt action is more accurate.

I've used mine from the tower on half-size pepper poppers at 400. All shots were against time, and were cake - that was with a one-point sling, so no help from the sling. Likewise, the qual course I fire goes out to 400 (sometimes we run it at 500 just for giggles). High into the Expert category is easy at 400, and only mildly challenging at 500, with the XCR.

A big part of the accuracy you're going to see depends on your sighting system. I run a 2 MOA Aimpoint M3 - obviously I'm not going to be shooting sub-MOA with a 2 MOA sighting system, but hitting is what counts. I've "cheated" and just put the red dot over the head of the target, and hit it at 400 (prone, slung), even though I couldn't see much at all of the head due to the dot.

But since the 5.56 isn't a long-range cartridge (realistically, it's only effective to a bit past 300 - I run Hornady TAP through mine) I don't concern myself with targets much beyond that.

I've never set down at a bench and tried to group mine. It just does what I want it to do every time, and always hits where I point - unfortunately, that happens even if my aim is off some ;D

Try it. You'll like it.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Supported off a rest, either bipod or fallen branch, you can shoot to around an inch with decent ammo. I had to work my trigger some to get to this but overall it is a reasonably accurate rifle. Unless you are a very accomplished shooter it will be more than adequate.

I would expect an 18" 6.5 should be easily capable of this if not greater accuracy and consistancy as long as you ensure the barrel bolt is tightly secured to ensure consistency shot to shot. If your rifle doesn't achive good results swap out the bolt as the pairing might be a little loose.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses! They have helped me to make an informed decision. Looking forward to getting a 6.5 XCR.

If anyone has target pics of their XCR handy work…I’d love to see them posted here.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Heres one

Fired fairly rapid as soon as I got a sight picture I fire again and with 5.56 I get my sight picture back fast since there is no real recoil

·
Registered
112 Posts
Dunno about match ammo, but I shot a 1 inch 5 shot group today with my 16" light barrel using Federal American Eagle 55 gr. off bags with an old Aimpoint MKIII red dot.
Surprising as that ammo does not group nearly that well out of any of my other 5.56 rifles.
Pete

·
Registered
919 Posts
has anyone tested out how will the xcr holds its zero after a barrel change?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I run a 14.5 light barrel for patrol and entry work and a 16 inch heavy for woodland ops and observer work. I switch barrels at least once a month and haven't found a zero change with either setup.

The anal side of me wants to get a torque wrench or somehow add a witness mark to the barrel bolt so that I can be more exact with barrel changes, but no problems so far.

It takes me about 30 seconds to go from entry gun to SPR or back.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Full time cop and student of firearms/shooting and part time SWAT officer. I work for a small (comparatively) department but we get a lot of leeway with respect to firearms and training.

I have been a firearms instructor for a few years now and we try to stay as current as we can and push limits further as often as we can. I get a lot of range time for most any department but especially one of our size.

I really enjoy teaching firearms and tactics and have a lot of flexibility in taking officers to the range for impromptu training.

Sniping is relatively new to me and I am trying to learn everything I can in this area.

I've been doing handgun, rifle and shotgun for a lot longing.

Every chance I get to learn something new is a good day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts