XCR Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a question about manufacturers lubrication. In the manual it states on page 55 and I quote,
"Use lubricant that works well in all operating temperatures. Lubricate only the bolt shaft, the driving band and bolt rails of the bolt carrier, and the flat sides of the operating rod. The manufacturer uses 30W synthetic motor oil. NOTE: A lot of lubricant is necessary during the initial 300 round break in period. Afterward, only a light coat of lubricant is needed."

Are we talking 0w-30, 5w-30, or HD 30w? It seems the HD30w oil only comes in a very few synthetic brands i.e. Amsoil and Royal Purple. Maybe I am over thinking the lubrication part but I want my rifle broken in to be 99.999% effective. In the past I have used CLP (ARMY), Gibbs, and now FrogLube which I like.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
some on here use Mobil1 0W-30.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
True enough, but I ran across a sale on full synthetic Castrol 0-W30 a couple of days ago - 3FRN per quart.I got a gallon.
Dunno if I'll see a difference between Castrol, Mobil 1, Froglube, or anything else. But I do know I'm set for a LONG time if need be!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Is there an updated version of this document perhaps with FAST Stock information? How about a copy of Annex A which is referred to several times in this document but not included? Supposedly it includes exploded diagrams of parts, as well as required tools and torques...

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Is there an updated version of this document perhaps with FAST Stock information? How about a copy of Annex A which is referred to several times in this document but not included? Supposedly it includes exploded diagrams of parts, as well as required tools and torques...
Not at this time if I read Ben correctly. He is rather upset that this proprietary hard work by he and Alex has been made available so easily.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Not at this time if I read Ben correctly. He is rather upset that this proprietary hard work by he and Alex has been made available so easily.
Merlin, you are correct in that the latest version of the Armorer's Manual has the appendices with complete parts list, torque specs, etc. My latest contribution to the work in progress was to take the technical information on the FAST Stock and incorporate the disassembly, reassembly, and function check of that component into the manual and corresponding Armorer's course.

Again, not that I expect that everyone on this forum would know, but there are a few here that know the actual firearms industry...the Armorer's course and corresponding manual is limited to military and LE armorers for a reason. Folks need to think about the risk associated with putting out a BoobTube vid or a DVD and Mr. or Ms. "A three pound hammer is a fine adjustment tool" starts offering their disservice as "a factory certified Robinson Arms Armorer" then bung up someone's rifle, or worse yet, make an unsafe modification because it's "kewl". If someone's rifle goes ka-boom do you think the individual who did the fine work on it will accept responsibility? My guess is that they would point their finger at Robinson Arms and their self-printed "certificate" and say, "they taught me to do that" faster than a double parked car gets towed in Manhattan.

On a similar note, I taught (as I usually do) and participated in other instructor's classes at the annual IALEFI conference in Mobile, AL, which was limited to card carrying LE and military only. Sure enough, some eeeed-jut (translation: idiot in South Texas patois) in my class recorded my team performing an Active Shooter live fire drill. Not only did he record 4 students and the two instructors without anyone's permission, when he posted it to the internet he said what it was and what it was used for! WAY TO GO ACE, talk about putting our critical incident response out there where any active shooter can look at it and figure out how to defeat it....

I tried to put out counterintel that it was just how real Texans do the original Texas two-step (with rifles in their hands, naturally), but I don't think that worked...

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I shun the public eye for a reason. The world is not a democracy, and not everyone is entitled to everything, instantly. Some of us have worked our entire lives at our craft, knowing that perfection is an unattainable goal. And sorry, buying and watching the Panteo DVD will not make you into an operator like Paul Howe. If it did, I'd have a stack of them.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
The Armorer's course should be limited to LE and military. Especially, since most XCR's are owned by civilians (never mind that civilians include LE). Let's see, with RA's response to problems then most all of the rifles would have a problem and then we wouldn't have a freaking clue as to how to fix it. Boy, that sounds like a stellar idea. This is once again the rift between LE and the general public. Remember, I received my copy from Alex and I'm a civilian. He must of thought my low civilian I.Q. was barely high enough to handle that complex manual. I've seen more dumb shit from cops in regards to firearms than I've ever seen with the public. Maybe I'm taking this wrong, but Benji--you kind of sound a little high falootin! As I stated before, I would happily pay for an updated manual and would never intentionally see any person deprived of the fruits of his labor. But to say only LE and military should have an amorer's manual sounds a bit elitist. Which military unit is using XCR's? If I misunderstood your comment, I apologize in advance.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Mjorin, I have no stake in this, but I see what Ben's point is illustrating.
We currently live in an outrageously litegous nation, and he's wanting his work to be limited to those who can't / won't sue if they do something wrong. Right now, that means people that have armorers.
Purely liability driven. And in this society, where you have idiots suing mcdonalds for serving hot coffee without a warning that the coffee was hot, I understand his concern.

Now whether we agree or disagree with his risk assessment, the fact of the matter is that we DO agree that his work is his own, and he's entitled to profit by it as he so chooses, we wouldn't knowingly shaft him by taking without paying. But let's take that thought a step further...... It's my opinion that since it's his work, he should be able to define who he sells it to - whether we agree with his decision or not.

Not taking sides, you're more than correct that the vast majority of these are in the armories of private Citizens. Although I've had great success with the service from RA, I realize that I'm in the minority. While I agree that it would be extemely handy for us Citizens, the demands of the public can not coerce anyone to sell or give away his work.

Reactions: Benjamin Kurata

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Mjorin, I have no stake in this, but I see what Ben's point is illustrating.
We currently live in an outrageously litegous nation, and he's wanting his work to be limited to those who can't / won't sue if they do something wrong. Right now, that means people that have armorers.
Purely liability driven. And in this society, where you have idiots suing mcdonalds for serving hot coffee without a warning that the coffee was hot, I understand his concern.

Now whether we agree or disagree with his risk assessment, the fact of the matter is that we DO agree that his work is his own, and he's entitled to profit by it as he so chooses, we wouldn't knowingly shaft him by taking without paying. But let's take that thought a step further...... It's my opinion that since it's his work, he should be able to define who he sells it to - whether we agree with his decision or not.

Not taking sides, you're more than correct that the vast majority of these are in the armories of private Citizens. Although I've had great success with the service from RA, I realize that I'm in the minority. While I agree that it would be extemely handy for us Citizens, the demands of the public can not coerce anyone to sell or give away his work.
Just b/c our society is litigious doesn't make it right either though.

And mjorin....ya, Mr. Kurata has a real superiority complex (at least it would appear so from his postings)....and I can't really point fingers, as in other areas, I'm likely considered to be the same way. Just pointing it out. ;) Personally, it would completely turn me off if I were looking for instruction, but I'm sure he wouldn't want me for a student anyway....after all, I'm neither Military or LE. ;)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I agree that if it is his intellectual property, he should be able to distribute it to whom ever he wishes. As I stated, my copy came via Alex and I believe I paid for it. I can find no copyright in my manual, but maybe my civilian I.Q. is too low to recognize it? Does the manual belong to RA or Benji? How about all of the engineered prints in the back of the manual,who do they belong to? Why hasn't RA waded in on this theft of intellectual property? At this point, I'm really beyond caring--keep beating the dead horse!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well, it was never my intent to create two camps of thoughts on this subject, but be that as it may, from where I stand there's:

1. Those who work hard at what they do and earn the fruits of their labor, and

2. Those who think they have a "right" to the work and work products of others, which I do not agree with.

It is also unfortunate that some who have never met me nor ever will have felt it necessary to make judgments about my character, etc. To those I say this old saying:

"We have all sheltered ourselves under roofs that we did not build;
Warmed ourselves by fires we did not make;
And fed ourselves with food that we did not prepare."

and I would add,

"Benefited from the wisdom of others." (Members of this board included.)

For those of you who find those analogies too abstract, I expect an example of your latest work product on my virtual desk by 08:00 local tomorrow. I will then make it available to anyone who asks for free. Because, after all, this is the internet age, and we are Americans, so aren't we entitled to everything instantly for free?;)

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
I agree that if it is his intellectual property, he should be able to distribute it to whom ever he wishes. As I stated, my copy came via Alex and I believe I paid for it. I can find no copyright in my manual, but maybe my civilian I.Q. is too low to recognize it? Does the manual belong to RA or Benji? How about all of the engineered prints in the back of the manual,who do they belong to? Why hasn't RA waded in on this theft of intellectual property? At this point, I'm really beyond caring--keep beating the dead horse!

I know another person who shall remain nameless that was GIVEN a copy of the PDF by Alex. I have no idea who owns it....but it seems if it's not Alex, then perhaps whoever does is the one who should seek a legal recourse.

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Well, it was never my intent to create two camps of thoughts on this subject, but be that as it may, from where I stand there's:

1. Those who work hard at what they do and earn the fruits of their labor, and

2. Those who think they have a "right" to the work and work products of others, which I do not agree with.

It is also unfortunate that some who have never met me nor ever will have felt it necessary to make judgments about my character, etc. To those I say this old saying:

"We have all sheltered ourselves under roofs that we did not build;
Warmed ourselves by fires we did not make;
And fed ourselves with food that we did not prepare."

and I would add,

"Benefited from the wisdom of others." (Members of this board included.)

For those of you who find those analogies too abstract, I expect an example of your latest work product on my virtual desk by 08:00 local tomorrow. I will then make it available to anyone who asks for free. Because, after all, this is the internet age, and we are Americans, so aren't we entitled to everything instantly for free?;)
Hey Benjamin, I was just making an observation about your posts...you have every right to make ones about mine. I can be an arrogant prick (even if I'm joking it can come across wrong) and I've judged many of your posts to be written in a similar fashion. If you don't like my assessment, ask others on this board if your posts come across condescending. Then decide if your tone (in jest or not) may be the issue and adjust accordingly if you think it might be a misconception. Otherwise, ignore it, love who you are and go on about your business. I'm just pointing out that at least two of us here have noticed what seems to be a theme.

That doesn't even come close to meaning we "know" your character or you personally....we only know of you from what you post. If we got the wrong impression, it's entirely possible it's just our mis-reading of your intent...but it may also be the way you've crafted your internet persona. At least consider that possibility, is all I'm saying.

As for being tweaked about the intellectual property of the PDF in question....do you own the rights to it? If not, who does? If you do, did you copyright it or sufficiently legally protect your work? If not, you should take it up with the owner of said property, though at this point it's likely too late to protect if it wasn't protected initially.

You seem to be arguing from a moral perspective on the issue, and while I agree with you from a moral standpoint, (I don't have the armorer's manual btw for that reason)...."morals" are subjective to the individual.

I too have had multiple designs "copied" by others...some of which turned out to be very lucrative for the firms involved. I didn't bother to patent the design since a simple change to an idea will often constitute patent nullification. It still sucks to have it happen, but such is life in the internet age where posting a picture is often all that's needed to convey a vast amount of design information, let alone specs. I also have a different take on it in that I believe in the motto that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".....but I still understand your perspective.

Frankly, I do the work I do on designs and post the specs I do publicly b/c I like to help other people and I like to see people's reactions to my (often times) labor of love....perhaps that's my "morals". I think most people on this board have benefited from the wisdom of others on the board here...and most of that information and wisdom was granted for free in the name of helping others. I for one appreciate it and appreciate it that much more in that it was given with nothing more than the free exchange of ideas as consideration in the social contract.

Feel free to see it differently....you certainly don't require my permission. Again, I just wanted to give my perspective.

Respectfully,
Sean

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
That's awesome! Thanks very much!

·
Registered
322 Posts
To Sean and the XCR Forum,

I took some time away from the boards - the thing above about the Armorer's Manual also hit about the same time I was writing a monthly column for Action Target. I had summarized an FBI report on Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted (LEOKA) and titled it "How Officers are Dying". Shortly after the article went live on the Action Target web site, a white supremacist / separatist group copied it and posted it on their web sites as a "how-to" kill LEOs. They graciously left my name on it, and the next thing you know, I'm getting calls from all over the country as to why my article is on these web sites. I consulted with the Action Target webmaster and attorneys, and the long and the short of it was that we could sue the web hosting company, but as the actual servers hosting these web sites were out of the U.S., there was no guarantee that my article would be removed.

Not an excuse for my online behavior, but I'm really not as big an as___le as I seem on the Internet. But isn't everything bigger on the internet?

Also, please understand that the rifle is not a hobby or recreation for me, and I am not in any way saying that those are not worthwhile pursuits. The rifle is a tool of my trade, as much as my 1911 Colt and my Remington 870P. The reason why I am so passionate about the XCR is that I am closing in on a decade with mine and it has never failed me - not once. The only part I have had to replace is the original two-piece bolt catch, which wore down after me running the bolt carrier over it a few thousand times. I have broken numerous AR-15s by every major manufacturer, but I cannot break my Robinson.

The XCR Armorer's manual is the property of Robinson Armament. I hope that it has helped those who have access to it to further understand what a truly revolutionary rifle Alex Robinson has developed. I guess if FN, Bushmaster, Larue and others all copy design features of the Robinson, then "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
Bump for those looking.....

21 - 39 of 39 Posts