XCR Forum banner

How Many XCR Firing Pins Have You Broken?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
Man, that sucks. What are the chances?

Let us know how it goes. I'm curious as to how prevalent this problem is.

Sean

It does suck... But as I said, I put these together from used parts. I will post when I get them apart and back together. I just dropped a line to Kermit, because although I had the foresight to buy a few firing pins, roll pins escaped me.
So, we will see what he has in hand. :)

I vaguely remember something about a few pins with a tool mark causing a stress riser or maybe it was a mismatched chamfer in the firing pin hole ?

Anyone got any better recollections or pics ?

Thanks in advance.

I vaguely remember something about a few pins with a tool mark causing a stress riser or maybe it was a mismatched chamfer in the firing pin hole ?

Anyone got any better recollections or pics ?

Thanks in advance.
Both have caused breakage from what I recall.

I do recall the machine marks, I think Terra posted a drawing of what she meant when it was discussed. I would appreciate any input as to the "mismatched chamfer", as I am not picturing what that means? Thanks

I do recall the machine marks, I think Terra posted a drawing of what she meant when it was discussed. I would appreciate any input as to the "mismatched chamfer", as I am not picturing what that means? Thanks
I never saw the drawing, but a mismatched chamber generally means that they used the wrong angle on the chamfer to meet up with the other part (however, in this case, the other "part" is the case).....so I'm not sure what she meant, unless she was just stating the chamfer was not done correctly, had burrs, or wasn't the engineered angle.

Sorry, no help here.

Sean

Well i just toasted my firing pin today. Was testing out the new AR and brought the XCR along for some fun. Put the mag in and stripped off the first round and jammed. Pulled the bolt back a bit and the round slipped in. Few rounds and jam again and again.

The gun is S/N 7305 and has approx 2000+ rounds through it. All American Eagle 55g.

Does the new firing pin come with a new roll pin?

Maybe instead of roll pins, we should be finding out what kind of steel the firing pins are made from. If RA does go under, we're going to have to have firing pins made locally to keep some rifles running.

Maybe instead of roll pins, we should be finding out what kind of steel the firing pins are made from. If RA does go under, we're going to have to have firing pins made locally to keep some rifles running.
Even if they don't go under, it would be nice if someone with the knowledge might make a better firing pin.

Even if they don't go under, it would be nice if someone with the knowledge might make a better firing pin.
I wonder if it needs the step the AR has in its firing pin.

To stop over-travel?

To stop over-travel?
No, because we're seeing them break at the tip....making me wonder if the tapered shape is hitting the firing pin hole on some guns and causing it to eventually break.

The tip broke on one of mine, but the other snapped at the other end, right at the head, or hat portion.
Most of the breaks I've seen pics of are at the tip......wonder what would cause a break at the other end?

Induction Hardened 300M.....drool. Though I admittedly don't know if that's the steel grade you'd want (likely it's not).

Reactions: BADDFROGG
21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.