XCR Forum banner

How Many XCR Firing Pins Have You Broken?

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
If you are in contact with him, do you think it would be worth mentioning the firing pin?
I can send him an email. I was thinking of getting the pin treated by a company that does car stuff, I spoke to them at a trade show in November and they have been doing firearm parts but not advertising about it.

Took some pictures and mic'd the RA roll pin and the ones I received from Carpenter. I had a RA pin in the kit that I got from Kermit a while back.

They are both magnetic. Keep in mind that while I used the micrometer for the measurements that the pins are not perfectly symmetrical. You will also notice that the RA pin seems to be a true roll pin. I do not see why the one Carpenter got would not work.

RA is on the Right.

Carpenter RA
Length .381" .376"
Diameter .102" .0995

Attachments

I heard back from Mountainman, I am sending him some measurements. How many do you think is needed in case he asks. Of course he will need to make money at this.

Also, do they have to be tapered?

I also have found a guy capable of making them. I am sending him a sample to work from.
Changes from original will be along the lines of improved metallurgy, a narrower retaining pin slot for more beef in that area and mirror polish finish for elimination of any possible stress risers.

Depending on price, I'd be in for a few.

I heard back from Mountainman, I am sending him some measurements. How many do you think is needed in case he asks. Of course he will need to make money at this.

Also, do they have to be tapered?
Again, stepped may be preferable....I simply don't know. FMEA would tell you, but I don't have software access or the knowledge base required.

I'd probably be in for several....depending on cost, material and design.....which means nothing b/c until he has a design he's ready to produce, he won't know any of the parameters.

I just broke mine tonight in dry fire .. I'm assuming it was tonight, pulled the bolt and ... wtf ... firing pin protruded and wedged into the bolt. Broke off inside the carrier body - this is the new bolt keymod :(

I just broke mine tonight in dry fire .. I'm assuming it was tonight, pulled the bolt and ... wtf ... firing pin protruded and wedged into the bolt. Broke off inside the carrier body - this is the new bolt keymod :(
Now that is interesting as all hell! I thought the new bolt was supposed to prevent possible slam fires---it sound like you're set up for a slam fire. To be clear, this is the new style bolt carrier?

Now that is interesting as all hell! I thought the new bolt was supposed to prevent possible slam fires---it sound like you're set up for a slam fire. To be clear, this is the new style bolt carrier?
Exactly what I thought yesterday when this was posted. Convinces me even more that for the L at least....the "old" bolt is still better.

Reactions: Bravo
No idea, but to the best of my knowledge we can't get those in Canada. Even Wolverine Supplies is running low on parts and custom orders need to be made :(

Even with this issue, they're still A+ rifles in my book.
That sucks. I wonder if the titanium and SS aftermarket ones would be an more resilient.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.