XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking through the safe this afternoon and pulled out the XCR for a second. What if Robinson took the standard upper receiver and milled off the side and bottom rails and fabricated a polymer handguard? I'm not saying on all rifles mind you. Rails give everyone the option for whatever accessory and if you don't want rails, then put some covers over them!

I figure shaving the rails off would cancel out under a pound of material and a polymer handguard would weigh next to nothing itself and give the foregrip area a slightly slimmer profile.

Neo-lithic architecture was neither neo nor lithic. Discuss! ;)

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
One of my favorite things about the XCR is the full built-on rail system. I would miss it if it were gone. and it would look even more like an AR without them. :-\

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, I think the full rail system is one of the XCRs strong suites. What they need to work on is a custom stock, maybe a fancy front site, or something like that to help set it apart.

The rail is far too tacticool. More space for gear queers!

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just me thinking out loud. When I was in the service the M4 w/ RAS was great but we also had to hump a lot of crap on that thing. Lights, PAQ's then the PEQ's, a front grip, etc. It's also heavier, bulkier and shifts the balance point. More stuff to account for and more stuff to go wrong when it needs to work.

The top rail is fine. A polymer handguard could still accept a smaller rail section for a light or something but simplicity is the point I'm driving at. How did we ever win wars without all that stuff? ;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
HAHAHA, that brings back memories. ;D I used to tape a flashlight to the top of the carry handle of my AR. I could still see thru the peep sight, it illuminated the FSP, and whatever I was aiming at. I'm talkin back in the early 80's

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The top rail is fine. A polymer handguard could still accept a smaller rail section for a light or something but simplicity is the point I'm driving at. How did we ever win wars without all that stuff? ;)
Superior training, motivation, character and the M1 Garand :)

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Back before the 'Tactical' or 'Craptical" industry coame out with all these things we just have to have, we used to tape Maglites under our MP5s and they worked fine. From what I've seen most people with rails don't really use them, and those that do soon tire of the weight of all the shite they put on them.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I do not subscribe to the "hang everything but the kitchen sink" off of my rifles either.That said,I do "like" the rail system too,What I like about it,is modularity.If I don't need something on it that day It can come off with relative ease.If I decide I need something on it later,I have the option.If you add a couple rail covers at 3,6,and 9 ,you have a perfect handgaurd/forend.
Because of my eye condition,I can't see a laser sighting device's aiming point while having the weapon mounted light on too.If I could,I believe they have merit in certain circumstances.I do strongly believe however,if a carbine is intended for self defense,a light is a must.
MickeyC hit on a very excellent point,weight becomes an issue over time.I am not,nor will ever be,a black jumpsuit clad ninja-like door buster.If I were ,weight wouldn't be as much of a consideration because A)I would be in better shape because of training,and B) for shorter missions weight isn't as big a factor.Go on a 10 mile patrol however,and that 3 extra pounds of crap you hung on your 7 pound M4,that now weights 10 pounds and you'll see what I mean.My :2cents:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The full length top rail is great, but the sides & bottom really only need to be about 3" long. They could also be a bolt on type, YHM makes a nice forarm like that I really like. It's smooth & round but will except bolt on rail's where ever you want one and in what ever length you want. This would be a good set up for the XCR, when you think about it you really only need a few inch's either side for a light or laser and enough on the bottom for a bipod. (or hand grip if you like them, I don't)

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
I personally would like to see an option to be able to order the XCR with the rails not having the center groove in them.
+1, I have been nagging Alex to do this ever since the XCR came out. I even told him I would order three new uppers (one for each XCR) if he offered them with out the center groove.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I'm still unsure of the reasoning for using the non-milspec rails,other than a slight weight advantage.Some like it that way some don't,I don't see why it cant be offered as an option.After all it's only one less machining operation.I have some quick detach light's that are a shade loose on the XCR rail too,that's not the case with my Midwest industries and other rails systems I own.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think it would make it look more like an AR, I actually had something like an FNC pictured in my head. It's nice to have the option to put stuff wherever, but after dragging around a carbine through the desert that weighed more than those M1 Garands some folks have spoke of, I like to keep things a little more simple nowadays. The most I'd ever put on there is a light.

Now it is true that most of the shooters I have sport a virtual cornucopia of rails and I guess that is the price of admission for getting the better gear that is out now. I don't hate them by any means, they do have utility. Sometimes it seems that if there is a spare square inch on any weapon then there is space for a rail section anymore.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
If you're going to have a rail, at least make it standard. I think the idea that having a non standard rail differentiates the rifle from the AR doesn't make sense. no offense but the rifle already has a lot in common with the AR so changing the rail is odd as it would fail Military approval testing based on that alone.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Magpul is doing something similar with a Masada. Where the top rail is monolithic with a bolt on plastic handguard. I do wonder how rigid the top rail is though, and if extrusions are up to the challenge.

Weight is going to be an issue with any new carbine. Even the Masada which is made from plastic clocks in at 7.4lbs. There really is no way around it...

AR15's have spoiled shooters, but it wont be that good again. The days of < 6lbs carbines with 16" govt profile barrels are over.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts