XCR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am concerned that the recoil of XCR may rotate the hidden gas valve on its own. Do y'all have anything to ease that concern?

The Type 3 buried gas valve does not feature a Gas Valve Detent, purposefully so the valve can be adjusted without stripping the gun. Noted. However, in the XCR Overview video at 1:28, the valve turns really easily. So easily, in fact, that it almost appears loose without the detent. I wouldn't want my gas setting to change randomly as I'm firing the gun, but I would prefer the extended handguard offered by the "Competition" model.

Please advise.

Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Font Window Automotive exterior

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's keyed, bro. Calm down. :) Even if it loosens, it can only move forward. That said, YES....when you get the gun, make sure you tighten the set screw in case the factory forgot to fully torque it. To my knowledge, we've only had one member have it come loose from the factory setting. And in his case, it did crack the dial. Not the end of the world but completely avoidable with a good once over of fasteners occasionally.

EDIT Sorry...I didn't realize you were talking about the detent for the dial. Thought you meant the gas block itself. That's what I get for just looking at the pic and reading a few lines.

Yeah, if you're that concerned you could always go to McMaster Carr and get a chrome silicone spring with higher coil resistance or length to put more tension on it. I have something like 7 XCRs with the Type 3 gas system. Have NEVER had one unintentionally change settings. ***
Would you be able to link the me exact spring for which to look? I imagine I'm looking for a compression spring, but I'd have no clue what the dimensions for it should be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never had a issue with that, it's not hard to adjust but it does take a deliberate effort to rotate the dial.. and even with medium man hands it still requires me to use a tool like bullet tip or Allen key etc.
So you're saying that the amount of force, perpendicular to the bore, required to overcome the coefficient of friction on the valve far exceeds any such force resultant to recoil of the gun at even the highest settings. That is good to know. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know.....maybe, shoot the thing and see if it's actually an issue before you go fixing things that aren't broke. Seems like you're trying real hard to fix a non- issue.

There's a type 3 on the M as well..... think that's got some more recoil than anything in x39
I'm just trying to do some market research. ^-^ Most reviews feature the standard model with the exposed valve and detent as opposed to the buried one. I wouldn't want to drop $2.2K on a gun that FTE/FTFs on me (firsthand experience with the x39 Bren).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And I have a -M with a 12" bbl....no issues with it. Got a 9.5" on order too....don't anticipate any problems there either.
Sean, do you happen to know what kind of accuracy I should expect out of the XCR-L? I got an "AR47" that's a real tack-driver, and while I know I won't be getting the same tightness of groups from a piston gun, I'd like it if it was almost as accurate. Thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts