XCR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

A friend of mine has asked me for some recommendations on an "all use" carbine. He is trying to stay under $1200, but I might be able to get him to go a little higher, since the XCR is a slight bit more. I like the idea of a lighter carbine that can switch between some fairly readily available calibers.

My question: is there any more difference between the light and heavy versions of the XCR, other than the heavier barrel? Is there a difference in triggers? Are there more options included in the price on the heavy, compared to the light? Maybe the heavy is chubbier and cuddles better? From the descriptions that I have read on robarms and impact guns, it sounds the same, but just a heavier barrel. Oh, and who is making replacement part kits? Are there any aftermarket kits available yet? Any answers you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

WAS

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Okay,
the only *real* difference between the light and heavy barrel is $50 and 6 oz. It's all about the look, really. Some say the heavy provides a little better accuracy, but when test firing, we didn't notice any giant difference.

We do offer a parts kit. It runs around $56, depending on the variations the customer makes (Some order a spare firing pin or more than one of a part). Either way, it's definitely under $100.
A layout of the parts kit is available in the Robinson section. You can print off the picture and show it to your friend if you'd like. There is even a breakdown of importance on each part in the kit.

Right now, the XCR comes with one trigger. If you've read around much, you'll see that 1) nobody particularly likes it and 2) we are working on a much better match trigger. We're hoping to have that going in a few months, but I am feeling very leery of promise dates right now. We're a small company, and it seems like we're never ahead of the game. Either way, I like to think of our customer base as a close-knit bunch who all share a love of the XCR. They're a great bunch. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Okay,
the only *real* difference between the light and heavy barrel is and 6 oz. It's all about the look, really. Some say the heavy provides a little better accuracy, but when test firing, we didn't notice any giant difference.

We do offer a parts kit. It runs around , depending on the variations the customer makes (Some order a spare firing pin or more than one of a part). Either way, it's definitely under 0.
A layout of the parts kit is available in the Robinson section. You can print off the picture and show it to your friend if you'd like. There is even a breakdown of importance on each part in the kit.

Right now, the XCR comes with one trigger. If you've read around much, you'll see that 1) nobody particularly likes it and 2) we are working on a much better match trigger. We're hoping to have that going in a few months, but I am feeling very leery of promise dates right now. We're a small company, and it seems like we're never ahead of the game. Either way, I like to think of our customer base as a close-knit bunch who all share a love of the XCR. They're a great bunch. :)

I like mine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Terra, thank you very much for your honest response. I will pass this info along to my friend. I can understand about not wanting to promise dates, but dont fret about being "behind in the game." Even established companies are behind most of the time and play hell catching up. In my 15 yrs experience in business, 9 of which are complaint department customer service, I have found that if a company makes a quality product at a fair price, and provides outstanding customer service, the product will sell itself and the company will grow at its own pace. Never lose sight that your customers are your number one priority and treat each one like gold. Take care....

WAS

·
Registered
39 Posts
A light cut down to 14.5 with a YHM flash with the old gas system weighs exactly: 1 pound 13.8 oz.

I have it sitting on my shipping scale at work as I type :)

I can tell you what a HVY sent out to be flutted weighs next week. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I assume you mean just the barrel weighs 1 pound 13.8 oz.

I am debating whether to go with the light or heavy barrel with a XCR SBR. I’m leaning toward the heavy barrel. I just have to assume that heavier = more durable (more consecutive shots can be fired).

Am I incorrect?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ya sorry just the barrel.

Hvy vs light mostly looks unless you have an Auto XCR. The barrels will wear the same; once the lining is shot out thats the barrel, 40k rounds +- 10 k or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
(snipped)  ....if a company makes a quality product at a fair price, and provides outstanding customer service, the product will sell itself and the company will grow at its own pace. Never lose sight that your customers are your number one priority and treat each one like gold. Take care....

WAS
Amen.  I've seen more outfits who had a good product and go under because they lost sight of who pays the bills....the customers!!!  Taking good care of customers after the sale brings people back for more... and this keeps things going.

I left a company who made a good product but there were only two companies in the entire business and both got arrogant...  would forget about customers after the sale.  One is going under as I type and the other... well, they won't be around long, either.  I'm working for an upstart whose priorities are straight and we're doing well.

Terra, thanks for the honesty... this is what brings customers back as well as good service.

I just bought my first XCR... I can't fire it yet because I'm recovering from extensive surgery in my chest.  I have wanted an XCR for a long time and after I beat this cancer I bought one and this rifle is my "up yers, cancer" rifle.  So, once the doc clears me to start shootin' again, you know what rifle I'll be breakin' in.  :D

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
The "HBAR" makes the balance VERY different. The weight goes from the middle of the gun to the nose. If you've shot lots of RRA guns it feels similar to that.

The pencil barrel has a nicer overall balance. My 1st XCR was a pencil, and the 2nd was an HBAR

·
Registered
874 Posts
My XCR just arrived whooo hoooo but i didn't get to look at it for very long as I had to go to work 10 mins after I opened up the box. First impression though with the 18.5 inch barrel on the Canadian version. Very Front Heavy. Definitely going to take some getting used to. I hope when I mount my Elcan Spector DR on it, it will balance the weight out a bit.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
My XCR just arrived whooo hoooo but i didn't get to look at it for very long as I had to go to work 10 mins after I opened up the box. First impression though with the 18.5 inch barrel on the Canadian version. Very Front Heavy. Definitely going to take some getting used to. I hope when I mount my Elcan Spector DR on it, it will balance the weight out a bit.
Very nice. Please post pics. Adding it optic does help with balance. Even with a pencil barrel, 18.5" is going to have some heft

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ya stupid Canadian rules on barrel lengths and stupid US state department. If it had a shorter barrel I couldn't shoot it at an approved range. My buddy didn't like the fixed stock on it said it was awkward but he hasn't even held an AR and I know the AR collapsible stocks take some getting used to if you only have shot hunting rifles before. I didn't mind the stock but the front heavyness was definitely noticible and will take some getting used to. I am not sure if the barrel is a heavy or light profile one but from the weight of the gun I would assume its a heavy profile. Maybe Terra could clarify if the Canadian XCR's are heavy profile or not and what rifling twist they are.

·
Banned
8,010 Posts
I say get the light barrel.

Negative about the pencil barrels is they overheat easily and your shots will be all over the place. I had a pencil barrel awhile back and the thing would over heat after only 4 full mags, 120 rounds. I shot those 120 rounds fast but is not like I was full auto or bumped fired those rounds.

But I have to agree with VB, HBAR's on any rifle feel awkward and makes the rifle feel unbalanced. If you spread out your shots just a little, or give your rifle a little more time to cool after a big spree, then the light barrel will not be a problem. It is not like there will be a time where you dump 200 rounds in a minute.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I say get the light barrel.

Negative about the pencil barrels is they overheat easily and your shots will be all over the place. I had a pencil barrel awhile back and the thing would over heat after only 4 full mags, 120 rounds. I shot those 120 rounds fast but is not like I was full auto or bumped fired those rounds.

Well I can't shoot 30 round mags because mine are 30 rounders limited to 5 rounds or short 10 round mags so overheating is less of an issue. More stupid Canadian laws. I should see if I can buy a 18.5 inch light barrel for it cause this heavy one might be a bit much unless i buy a bipod for it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ok I will have to see if I can get it fluted cause its too heavy ;)

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Fluted HBAR. 1:8 or 1:7 twist. Best of three worlds. Stiff for accuracy, heavy with large surface area for heat management and fast twist for accurate distance shots with heavy bullets.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Fluted HBAR. 1:8 or 1:7 twist. Best of three worlds. Stiff for accuracy, heavy with large surface area for heat management and fast twist for accurate distance shots with heavy bullets.
I have the best solution for dealing with HBAR's.

Ready?

BATF tax stamp :D You lose about 2lbs in the blink of an eye....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts