XCR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the XCR-M
Will it just be for the .308 or will you be able to do caliber conversions:
6.5, 6.8 or 7.62x39? And if you will be able to use 7.62x39, will it accept standard ak mags?

Maybe a stupid question, but I just would like to know.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
For the XCR-M
Will it just be for the .308 or will you be able to do caliber conversions:
6.5, 6.8 or 7.62x39? And if you will be able to use 7.62x39, will it accept standard ak mags?

Maybe a stupid question, but I just would like to know.
Those are all already available for the XCR-L:

http://robarm.com/products.asp?cat=23

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not the .308

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
not the .308
Correct, the XCR-M is for .308 and other calibers of similar size. The XCR-L is for .223, 7.62x39, 6.5 and 6.8 and other calibers of similar size.

·
Registered
449 Posts
LilTate

The caliber restrictions are based upon mag well size and OAL of the cartridge.

The mag well of the XCR-L takes "standard" 5.56 mags and calibers that can also fit in that length are

7.62x39
6.8SPC
6.5 (theoretically........ ::)

The XCR-M will have a magwell that can take the "standard" 7.62x51 caliber round magazine or calibers similar

Possibly

.260 Remington
.260 Ackley
.350 Remington Magnum
6.5 Magnum (?)
6.5 Creedmore
6.5 Lapua
7mm-08
6.5x55

I make no claims that they would WORK in the XCR-M...... >:D

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The caliber restrictions are based upon mag well size and OAL of the cartridge.

The mag well of the XCR-L takes "standard" 5.56 mags and calibers that can also fit in that length are

6.5 (theoretically........ ::)
:laughposter: There's always a comedian in every crowd.
The XCR-M will have a magwell that can take the "standard" 7.62x51 caliber round magazine or calibers similar

Possibly

.260 Remington
.260 Ackley
.350 Remington Magnum
6.5 Magnum (?)
6.5 Creedmore
6.5 Lapua
7mm-08
6.5x55

Cartridges derived from .308 Win (.260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5 Lapua, 7mm-08) would seem suitable alternatives, as they ought to be usable in XCR-M magazines. However, considering the substantial difference in case dimensions and configurations, I'm skeptical that .350 Rem Mag, 6.5 Rem Mag, and 6.5x55 would be viable chamberings.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Here is a poll about what calibers you think you might like or want or the "M".It might be time to revisit this thread.for all the new folks here to see and vote.
This was my thought's regarding calibers,please not thesecalibers I reference weren't my choices but I was talking about the ones mentioned in the poll:

Very good idea but the "M" will be even further in the future.I have a few observations I hope you don't mind my sharing.OK here goes,you have a nice long list,and some very interesting choices.The problem is not all are suited to either a semiauto platform or are not feasible in the M.
First anything based on the 308 case: .243,.260.7mm-08,.338 Federal,and the .358 Winchester,are all good obvious choices for different purposes and cover a good part of the ballistic spectrum.Not to mention they all use the same bolt face,and magazine,all you would need is a barrel for any of them.The 22-250 also shares the .308 common .473 case head diameter as well so would work without requiring a new bolt.
The rimmed cartridges mentioned(45-70,30-30,.44 Remington magnum,.500 Smith and Wesson)all share the same problems,That being reliable feeding in a semiauto.Also due to case length,if the .44 mag and .50 S&W were to be considered it would fit into the XCR-L.
This one is purely my opinion,but I believe the SAUM cartridges are on the way out.The close competition with Winchesters WSM's and market flooding,there just ain't enough demand for it.I'm not so certain about the future of the WSM's either.The .270 is the only one of those covering a possible caliber/velocity niche' that would be worth it to me.
I know the .270 Weatherby magnum falls very close ballistically,but it is a proprietary cartridge that is prohibitive to afford for allot of folks,not to mention ammo availability.The other problem is the R&d associated with these,because of the very unusual case shape,they are not very conducive for use in semiauto's either.I can be done but it is more work.They too would also require a different bolt and magazine,making kit prices more expensive.
The grand old Ought six is too long for The XCR-M,unless designed for it Which would increase cost and weight and wouldn't be worth the difference.The 308/7.62 NATO is the ballistic equivalent of the 30-06.Sure you can handload the -06 hotter in a bolt gun but in a semiauto its just not as practical as it's shorter cousin.The 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser is a darling little cartridge,every one I have ever shot was accurate as hell,but the rim diameter on it is differant the the .308 family and it's ballistically no different than the .260 Remington.So basically you would have the expense of a new bolt,and possibly magazine for nothing.I doubt that one will happen either.
The .300 savage is another great cartridge,but it is a ballistic duplicate of the .308,so nix on that too,Although it does shares the same rim diameter,so in theory all you would need is a barrel.
This I doubt will ever happen ,but I am a qaurterbore fan and as such,I think the .250-300 savage would make a good candidate,if it were more available as a factory loading.It share the same rim diameter,so a barrel is all you would need.This cartridge I think could again be popular if Hornady would research it a little and use some of that new proprietary powder they have.The .257 Roberts isn't a bad choice either but I believe the case would be to long to use the heavier bullets in a magazine as it would infringe on powder space too much.
I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes by stating what I.m.h.o. are the practicalities of these choices
http://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,1520.0.html

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
There's no way I can see a 6.5X55 fitting into an AR10 / DPMS magazine.

I've got a slew of M14 magazines (non-butchered AR10 mags) and have used 'em for decades. I've also run the 6.5X55 (A.K.A. the 6.5 Swede) at higher pressures for precision work.

The Swede is significantly longer, even if the 4mm doesn't sound like much. The 260, while smaller, would work though.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Bravo on point as usual. :D.Yep I didn't see much point in it either simply because the .260 makes much more sense.Same bolt and magazine and no fitting in the required action length issues.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If they would make a 7.92x57 Mauser version of the XCR-M I would buy it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
If they would make a 7.92x57 Mauser version of the XCR-M I would buy it in a heartbeat.
I hate to dash your hopes,but the 8mm Mauser cartridge will not work in an XCR "M" because it is too long.It's a 30-06 length,or long action cartridge and as such would neither fit in the magazine or the action length of the "M".

·
Registered
467 Posts
The two calibers that are most significant for this rifle would be the .308 (if you have any surplus ammo left) and the .260 (if you don't). You could make a strong argument for the 7-08, but I prefer the 6.5mm to the 7mm for a variety of reasons.

For less serious use, a .243 might be fun. I like self-loading varmint rifles. They just make life easier. They also annoy bunny-huggers, which I like a whole helluva lot. For hunting, a .358 version might be amusing as well. .308 would probably be good enough, but I subscribe to the Elmer Keith method of cartridge selection--bigger bullets are better bullets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts