XCR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I'm not sure what the problem is but why the hell would you want the sling on the stock when it folds anyway? To each their own I guess.
Mine is NEVER folded and I only have to hump the rifle out in the back yard:p

·
Registered
22,187 Posts
My safe's too small.....folding the stocks in a couple instances allows me to put more guns in it.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
My safe's too small.....folding the stocks in a couple instances allows me to put more guns in it.
Man up and buy another safe. Sooner or later you're going to need it anyways:p

·
Registered
22,187 Posts
Already need one....just can't afford it. :(

Reactions: Bravo and Merlin

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Here is a couple of pictures of a FAST stock with the Magpul QD sling swivel socket attached. Looks pretty good! 030.JPG 031.JPG

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I wonder if you could get a sling swivel trapped between your shoulder and the stock like that.
I had that problem while running a Vickers sling on my shotgun - wound up having to mod the sling so it couldn't bother me.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Bravo,
Do you mean between your shoulder and the side of the rubber butt plate or the back of the rubber but plate? By the way, how did the M run in the Battle Rifle competition?

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
The swivel itself would get pinched between the side of the stock and my shoulder, but the sling adjustment hardware would get trapped occasionally between the buttplate and my shoulder. Rarely - but sometimes - edge on.
So the hardware was stripped off, and a much shorter swivel was sewn directly into the sling at a local upholstery shop. Works great now, but I wonder if you wouldn't have similar problems with this rig......

As for the comp, it got rained out. Which sucks. I made it understood to all involved that I wasn't made of sugar and had no fear of melting. It's rescheduled for when I've already got prior obligations. Go figure.
I know there'll be another one soon though.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I love those Vickers slings. I haven't found anything better.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
It really depends on what I'm doing with the firearm, as to what I feel I need the sling to do.
For a carbine or a shotgun, I like the Vickers. It's a "holster for the firearm", but I'm not using it as a "shooting aid" beyond a possible hasty sling. It keeps the firearm out of the way (cinched down across my chest) for times I need my "workspace" clear, and they don't allow the firearm to hit me in the junk when I transition to pistol, or beat my knees while on the move.

For applications where I'm using a sling as a shooting aid, I prefer the slings from Tactical Intervention. I've been using them for 15+ years, long before they were standard issue items for Marine and Army snipers. They don't do anything a standard 1919 sling won't, but they're MUCH more durable, and are MUCH faster to get into and out of. Can't recommend them any higher, really.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
So, I'm assuming that you use the TI sling for traditionally stocked rifles. I can see where they would be much quicker in and out. I've been told not to use that type of sling on AR style of rifles because of the torque it puts on an AR style rifle and could effect accuracy. I'm going to have to pick up a couple for Appleseeds.

By the way, I'm reading the Survivalist series by Jerry Ahern. Several times the main character, Rourke, but strokes or baseball bats a bad guy with his AR. The funny thing is he never breaks a thing--what a joke, but still entertaining. I find it interesting how things have changed since those books were written in the Early 80's. Everything Rourke has is "Metalfied" (except the Detonics which were some of the earliest Stainless pistols), now we have lots of Stainless steel. He carries two Detonics combatmasters with a round in the tube and hammer down--just as they were designed to be carried. He has this nutty thing about always unloading his CAR 15, collapsing the butt stock and carrying it condition 3. He is pretty big on firing controlled full-auto three round bursts. It seems to me if ammo was at a premium, say like the TEOTWAWKI, then you would probably want to be firing Semi-auto to make your hits count and conserve ammo?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
It would be nice if someone who owns a machine shop were to develop a serious XCR hobby. Imagine . . . finally having front sights to go on our gas block dovetails, lightened uppers with removable rail sections, custom barrels, Mountainman charging handles and Ezed adapters for all . . . *sigh*
Soon, but not a hobby.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
You got it - I run those on the "regular" stocked rifles for the most part, but there have been exceptions.
I ran one of the Quick Cuffs on my first XCR-L, folding tube stock and all, to prove a point (the point being that a guy could "max out" the Appleseed qualification with a combat-ready XCR carbine - it had a 2 MOA Aimpoint and everything else was stock. But I was short by something like 5 points) and one of the slip models on this -M as well. My kid got the first TIS USMC sling custom-made for a grade-schooler (grin), and actually got his pic in SWAT magazine running that rig like a pro.

But on the AR platform, it all depends. If you have a free-floating handguard, go for it. My old A2 has an aluminum free float handguard tube, no worries in the least. If you're pulling on a sling attachment that's on the gas block, it can make a difference, but you have to be getting on it pretty hard. Back in my service rifle days, there was a DCM approved free-float handguard tube that allowed for A2 handguards to be mounted on it - you could pull on it all you wanted, no change in POI. So I wouldn't rule it out, just don't pull so hard that you feel like you need a shooters mitt.

And as for Jerry, I got to meet him and his wife Sharron (sp?) some years ago, right after he took over Detonics (no joke). I let him know that the series you're reading kept me quite entertained throughout highschool ;-) No joke, he said that it was a fun piece of fiction to write, but all the love scenes were what they had lived LOL! Does that explain why I "needed" to buy a Colt Officers ACP on my 21st birthday? HA! But really, he was quite a nice guy. It's a real shame he's passed on.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I spoke to Jerry a couple of times when he was the head of Detonics. He seemed like a great guy and was always available to talk. He was the perfect guy to head up Detonics. I also talked to Peter Dunn, the head gunsmith of Detonics--he was a great guy too, very down to earth and very knowledgeable.

That's impressive shooting a 245 in an Appleseed with anything. The best I've shot was a 236, my buddy shot a 244. There aren't many people in the 240 club.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Thanks!
And if you wanna laugh, that was early on with my first -L. You know what I learned? Gotta loctite that pistol grip screw.
By the end of that qual, the pistol grip had loosened up so much I thought I was going to lose or mangle the safety detent spring. HA!
And 236 ain't anything to sneeze at! I wish I could find a place to get more of those full size dog, hun, tombstone, or other targets though. Always liked them at full range more than the bullseye.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
They sell several of the targets at the Appleseed store. Fred used to sell them, too at his M14 stock site.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Roger that, but have you ever waited on Fred?
Filling customer orders from the site isn't his primary concern.......
He's a decent fellow, and my battle rifle wears one of his synthetic stocks from back in the day when he would fill in the selector cut, spray texture it, and camo paint it. But I'm not into "pay and hope".

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Roger that, but have you ever waited on Fred?
Filling customer orders from the site isn't his primary concern.......
He's a decent fellow, and my battle rifle wears one of his synthetic stocks from back in the day when he would fill in the selector cut, spray texture it, and camo paint it. But I'm not into "pay and hope".
I have waited on Fred and it takes patience, I think it is even worse now. I don't think the appleseed store is run by Fred, but I could be wrong. One time Fred forgot about my order, I called, he filled it and I ended up with a free shooting jacket.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I got a question from a forum member about the magpul swivel socket on my FAST stock, previously pictured. Mine is a type 3 kit from magpul, used in that hole at the back of the FAST stock near the butt bad. I got magpul to give me the specs on the type 2 and type 3 kits.

Type 2 .58 tall .505 wide
Type 3 .75 tall .515 wide comes with a 1” screw
They use a 10/24 thread pitch

Here is a couple of pictures of a FAST stock with the Magpul QD sling swivel socket attached. Looks pretty good!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts