XCR Forum banner

Xcr m sling any ideas????

10K views 47 replies 11 participants last post by  Sig 
#1 ·
Hey everybody

Im wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i could attach a one or two point sling to my XCR M??

It has a fast stock on it and i just cant seem to figure anything out.

Ive tried contacting ROBARMS but they havnt got back to me and its been months.

If you guys have any ideas it would be much appreciated.

#3 ·
What he said.
Except putting a 2 point sling on the underside of the FAST stock sucks.
I don't prefer it, but it's the best I've been able to do so far.

#4 ·
Yeah, I haven't found anything I like either. Using the QD socket on the bottom of the FAST stock rubs on my shooting hand. I really wish it had a socket on the left side of the steel portion of the FAST stock and another on the rear part of the steel portion (below the actual stock). As soon as they come out, I'm going to try a Magpul MS4, attached to an RSA-QD on the top rail (all the way back).

#5 ·
Yep....same issue I noted when I first used the FAST. It needs a QD socket on the rear toe and the current location needs to be moved slightly....and while they're at it.....they should redesign the angle it folds at and make it a mechanical lock on the folding mechanism.

Oh well....it'll never happen (at least until I get a CNC machine, LOL). ;)

#6 ·
It would be nice if someone who owns a machine shop were to develop a serious XCR hobby. Imagine . . . finally having front sights to go on our gas block dovetails, lightened uppers with removable rail sections, custom barrels, Mountainman charging handles and Ezed adapters for all . . . *sigh*

#9 ·
The simple answer is that they were thinking you don't want a sling attachment point on a stock that folds.
But there are some of us out there that prefer our stocks not to fold, and want a rear sling attachment point.
I don't know if the MagPul part would work, but if it does, that'd be an elegant and simple fix to an odd problem. Not to mention the irony of needing a MagPul product to fix a FAST stock deficiency.
In all honesty, I'm about ready to put one of the M4 fixed stock adapters on my -M, and shove a MagPul CTR stock with 1/4" riser on it. Just like my carbines.

#11 · (Edited)
In all honesty, I'm about ready to put one of the M4 fixed stock adapters on my -M, and shove a MagPul CTR stock with 1/4" riser on it. Just like my carbines.
My first XCR came with the fixed stock. I've found that although not as cool looking as the FAST stock, I find I actually prefer the fixed stock.

I'll let you know about the Magpul kit. I was wondering why I could never find it, never looked under "shotguns" lol

On a sidenote, I can remember the only time when you tried to solve problems was when you talked with your shooting buddies (before computers). I tried using the QD mount where it was located on the fast stock and here I thought I was missing the boat on why it was placed there because I didn't really care for it. Nice to know it's not just me :)

#14 · (Edited)
If RA would of put that hole over by no more than 1/8", the kit would (should) work no problem. The probem is with the width of the QD cup (what you're mounting to the stock). The hole RA has provided on the stock is to close to the lip of the buttstock to get a flush fit with the QD cup to utilize the entire opening of the backside of the QD cup. You could try to make it work, the but the QD cup would be on a slight angle and I prefer not to go that route.

You can actually line up the QD cup over the hole that RA has provided in the stock, but the opening (where to insert the screw from the backside) on the QD cup dimminishes slightly, and you can't get the provided screw through the hole. I'm thinking a thinner screw with nut should actually give it a good chance of working (adding a washer on my end to boot). When you line the QD cup over the hole and the QD cup is flush agasint the stock, it looks like a smaller screw will work. Checked, don't have anything that short. Will make a local hardware run shortly.

I apologize for my technical writing abilities.

#16 ·
Replace the Magpul #10-24x1/2 button head screw with a #6-32x1/2 screw, and the QD cup will fit flush against the stock (will have to use a washer as well). Only problem was I grabbed the 1" screw (from Magpul) on the way to the hardware store and got the wrong length, and the only thing the local hardware store had was stainless steel.

#18 · (Edited)
Yes, same kit (I believe the #1 kit from Magpul). You have to go with the 1/2" length screw (they give you three screws, not two as in the picture for some reason).

After looking at it, you may get away with a size larger screw, not certain (for .50 may run up just to see that larger size would work).

And I feel like an idiot. I proclaim to read instructions, but I failed to do so in this case. The screw goes through the OD cup which will then protrude from the back side of the stock (I was doing it half assed backwards and I was wondering how in the hell you were supposed to tighten that nut IN the QD cup). Inserting the screw through the QD cups seems to allow the cup to get a flush fit, but the issue is the screw is going through the hole in the stock at a slight angle which doesn't seem to allow you to get flush contact between the nut and the backside of the stock.

As mentioned, if the hole provided by RA was no more than 1/8" over from the edge of the stock, the stock screw would work like a champ and you'd actually have more room to work with that nut on the backside.

Product Font Electronic device Diagram Gadget

#19 · (Edited)
OK, I'm not sure how I missed this earlier post on the same subject but here is another idea for mounting a QD swivel. This post was from DTOM.

Re: F.A.S.T. Stock Sling Mount Point ?

Ok there is a small hole near the buttpad on the FAST stock,go to this website (UMPB) Push Button Sling Swivel and buy on of those,run the bolt through the hole and a nut and washer on the backside and you have a QD mount,problem solved. I'm not sure what the problem is but why the hell would you want the sling on the stock when it folds anyway? To each their own I guess.

#20 ·
If I weren't a lazy SOB I'd post pics, but I'm just running 550 chord through that hole and mounting the sling to it. Works great and the price is right. I'm doing the same for the front sling mount, just running a double line (braided so it's pretty, and offers a good grip). I trust my life with 550 chord and the price is right.

#26 ·
I wonder if you could get a sling swivel trapped between your shoulder and the stock like that.
I had that problem while running a Vickers sling on my shotgun - wound up having to mod the sling so it couldn't bother me.

#27 ·
Bravo,
Do you mean between your shoulder and the side of the rubber butt plate or the back of the rubber but plate? By the way, how did the M run in the Battle Rifle competition?

#28 ·
The swivel itself would get pinched between the side of the stock and my shoulder, but the sling adjustment hardware would get trapped occasionally between the buttplate and my shoulder. Rarely - but sometimes - edge on.
So the hardware was stripped off, and a much shorter swivel was sewn directly into the sling at a local upholstery shop. Works great now, but I wonder if you wouldn't have similar problems with this rig......

As for the comp, it got rained out. Which sucks. I made it understood to all involved that I wasn't made of sugar and had no fear of melting. It's rescheduled for when I've already got prior obligations. Go figure.
I know there'll be another one soon though.

#30 ·
It really depends on what I'm doing with the firearm, as to what I feel I need the sling to do.
For a carbine or a shotgun, I like the Vickers. It's a "holster for the firearm", but I'm not using it as a "shooting aid" beyond a possible hasty sling. It keeps the firearm out of the way (cinched down across my chest) for times I need my "workspace" clear, and they don't allow the firearm to hit me in the junk when I transition to pistol, or beat my knees while on the move.

For applications where I'm using a sling as a shooting aid, I prefer the slings from Tactical Intervention. I've been using them for 15+ years, long before they were standard issue items for Marine and Army snipers. They don't do anything a standard 1919 sling won't, but they're MUCH more durable, and are MUCH faster to get into and out of. Can't recommend them any higher, really.

#31 ·
So, I'm assuming that you use the TI sling for traditionally stocked rifles. I can see where they would be much quicker in and out. I've been told not to use that type of sling on AR style of rifles because of the torque it puts on an AR style rifle and could effect accuracy. I'm going to have to pick up a couple for Appleseeds.

By the way, I'm reading the Survivalist series by Jerry Ahern. Several times the main character, Rourke, but strokes or baseball bats a bad guy with his AR. The funny thing is he never breaks a thing--what a joke, but still entertaining. I find it interesting how things have changed since those books were written in the Early 80's. Everything Rourke has is "Metalfied" (except the Detonics which were some of the earliest Stainless pistols), now we have lots of Stainless steel. He carries two Detonics combatmasters with a round in the tube and hammer down--just as they were designed to be carried. He has this nutty thing about always unloading his CAR 15, collapsing the butt stock and carrying it condition 3. He is pretty big on firing controlled full-auto three round bursts. It seems to me if ammo was at a premium, say like the TEOTWAWKI, then you would probably want to be firing Semi-auto to make your hits count and conserve ammo?

#33 ·
You got it - I run those on the "regular" stocked rifles for the most part, but there have been exceptions.
I ran one of the Quick Cuffs on my first XCR-L, folding tube stock and all, to prove a point (the point being that a guy could "max out" the Appleseed qualification with a combat-ready XCR carbine - it had a 2 MOA Aimpoint and everything else was stock. But I was short by something like 5 points) and one of the slip models on this -M as well. My kid got the first TIS USMC sling custom-made for a grade-schooler (grin), and actually got his pic in SWAT magazine running that rig like a pro.

But on the AR platform, it all depends. If you have a free-floating handguard, go for it. My old A2 has an aluminum free float handguard tube, no worries in the least. If you're pulling on a sling attachment that's on the gas block, it can make a difference, but you have to be getting on it pretty hard. Back in my service rifle days, there was a DCM approved free-float handguard tube that allowed for A2 handguards to be mounted on it - you could pull on it all you wanted, no change in POI. So I wouldn't rule it out, just don't pull so hard that you feel like you need a shooters mitt.

And as for Jerry, I got to meet him and his wife Sharron (sp?) some years ago, right after he took over Detonics (no joke). I let him know that the series you're reading kept me quite entertained throughout highschool ;-) No joke, he said that it was a fun piece of fiction to write, but all the love scenes were what they had lived LOL! Does that explain why I "needed" to buy a Colt Officers ACP on my 21st birthday? HA! But really, he was quite a nice guy. It's a real shame he's passed on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.