XCR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working up two setups on my XCR keeping the receivers the same. I figured I would take advantage of the XCR's modularity. The first pic is of my basic patrol rifle with surefire G2 LED in a Larue mount with a Larue FUG. The barrel is the light barrel, shortened to 14.5 with the FSC 556 permanently affixed. The pistol grip is Magpul MIAD.

The next pic is my patrol rifle with the clone magnifier in place. The Larue mounts are at a perfect height for me and work great with the magnifier and zoom dot.

Up next is my SPR rig, Burris 4.5x14 scope, 16 inch heavy barrel. No VFG or light to travel lighter. I figured I would use this configuration on observer missions or woodland searches where the scope will be a plus.

I got the new barrel and bolt yesterday. I probably didn't need to match a barrel to a bolt, but I wanted a spare bolt anyway. I zeroed the Burris scope and the heavy barrel, and then switched back to my patrol setup as I was a little rushed and did not get to really wring it out.

I went back to the range today to test things with a little more time and detail. The good news is that I cannot shoot well enough within my limits and the limits of the ammo to see a difference in zero. I removed my patrol setup and test shot the SPR setup. It was still good to go.

I then mounted the Millet and the magnifier and shot some groups. The elevation was dead on and the windage was 6 MOA off but the optic was zeroed to a different barrel. When I mounted the short barrel, its group was spot on at 50 yards as it was before being removed and replaced twice in two days. Very good news.

Overall, I feel comfortable in switching between barrels and optics and that they will retain their respective zeros. It takes two minutes or so to switch configurations, so it is practical to switch depending on missions. Worst case, I have to go with my patrol configuration for everything active and I know its capabilities. The patrol car carries all the weight so carrying two barrels and optics is not big deal. No all I have to do is find a hard case to store the barrel, bolt, optic, and barrel wrench in.

Now for the bad. Right now, the short light barrel is grouping smaller than the longer heavy barrel with the same ammo. I don't know if the new barrel isn't broken in or what the difference is. I may order another FSC brake as my groups got smaller on my DPMS .308 and my XCR when I added them. I like them so having one on the heavy barrel won't be a big deal. Even though the groups aren't as small, yet, with the heavy barrel, the group showed no signs of opening up with larger round counts. The light barrel doubles in group size for me at 7 to 10 fairly quick rounds.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a much much better shooting day today. I shot off of bags today instead of a bipod and realize I need a shorter bipod. I shot T-zone targets at 25, 50, 75, and 100. Groups were pretty good up close and got better at 100. I shot 5 shot groups at 100 and 3 out of each 5 went into `/4 to 3/8 inch. The others were far enough apart that it had to be me and not indicative of the gun. This happened on back to back groups. Even with my flyers the groups were around 1.25 inches. All ammo was wolf.

Every target but one was a passing target, even if they weren't that pretty.

The temp was 93, 50 % humidity with no shade. By the 60th round, the gun was hot. Groups did not get bigger until I did a 10 shot, steady fire group, at rounds 70-80. How much was temp and how much was pace is hard to say.

Overall I was very pleased with today's outing. I did have to dial in 1 MOA left windage, but with changing shooting position and just having a much better day, I am not willing to say the barrel did not return to exact zero. I kept the targets and will compare future targets.

My light barrel shoots consistent 1/2 groups at 50 yards with a red dot and magnifier and has never changed zero in changing so I am leaning to a change in shooter performance at this point.

I found a hard palstic case at LOWES that holds the barrel, allen wrench, 20 round mags, and sling perfectly. I lined the bottom with 1 inch foam and put foam in between parts and it holds all the precision stuff in a compact package.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
nice rundown, sounds like you have a true all around patrol rifle.

Can you take a pic of the case you got from Lowes? I need something to carry my 2 other barrels and bolt. I was thinking about glueing some high density foam inside the lid of my pelican case and somehow rigging up a retaining system to hold it all in one case.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a couple of pics of the contents, with and without the extra foam to keep things from banging together. If I was better at cutting the foam, I would cut another full piece to fit and then cut out the slots for each piece.

The case sits in my patrol car and if I need the specialized .223 it takes 2 minutes or less to get it re configured.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Looks Good, I am diggin it

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally got a more compact, higher quality scope for my SPR rig with an IOR 2-12x32. It zeroed quickly in that right out of the box it was dead on at 25 yards. I had to dial it down 5 MOA and it was on it 100. While my groups weren't necessarily any better than with the Burris, the quality of glass was amazing.

I noticed I was quicker on the qualification than with the burris and could run at a higher magnification.

A fellow sniper was shooting with me and we moved out to 350 off some wire spools and 450 off of a rock bluff. I actually had only two misses with one miss out of 3 at 350 and 1 miss out of 12 at 450--shooting wolf no less. I actually got the better of him as today so the XCR can shoot.

We did some range estimation drills and the 1/2 mil hashes on the IOR reticle come in handy as it seemed like my estimations were a little more precise.

Off course switching between my entry setup and SPR setup was easily done and quick.

I also shot two groups with Federal HP and was a little disappointed that the groups weren't drastically tigher than the wolf. More consistent and more equally spread around the point of aim than the wolf, yes. The wolf seems to have one or two out of five that go outside the group of the other three. The federal did not have this problem. Neither were match ammo. I definitely want to try some match ammo and have to send the trigger to MR. Springfield.

I just love the modularity of the system!!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a pic of the scope mounted. Sorry about the short, light barrel, but I did not feel like switching them out just for a pic.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I shot it again today and it is pretty slick. I found I had it one slot too far forward. Thankfully moving it back, I did not note a change in zero.

A larue mount would be nice, although the IOR supplied rings seem to work well and have no signs of front to back movement as they fit the slots pretty tight.

The worst is I have to remove my BUIS to mount the scope.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts