XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am looking for numbers of people who may be interested in a XCR Forum shoot and get together to unload some magazines through our XCR's and other rifles, pistols, etc.......

I know where some of you are located, so I'm just looking at that a good place might be Shanghai, in WV. The ZIP is: 25918 for you to do a http://www.mapquest.com/ search. They have 25 / 50 / 100 / 200 yard ranges but BYO targets and stands.

I am looking at a Saturday or Sunday meet at a small public range that even allows Full Auto. Bring em if you've got em! :rapidfire:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm definitely up for something, but China is a bit of a hike. Actually it looks to be about 4 1/2 hours, but if that means a better turnout, then so be it.

An alternative might be Hite Hollow in Augusta Springs Va. It is about 30 minutes southwest of 81 at Staunton. Part of the George Washington National Forrest.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/recreation/shooting_ranges/

If I remember correctly it is a bit over 100 yards. Maybe 150', and a little bit up hill.

Where else?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Aussie, When you planning to have this shoot???? If it's before April 08, I suggest a warmer climate. Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia or Florida perhaps. I can do the heat (jungle) just not the Artic (read NORTHERN States). My Dick doesn't appreciate being schriveled up ;D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really care where it is, or how cold or warm it is, I would just like to do it!

I did the West Virginia Police Academy qualification shoot where I had snow building up on my front sight!

I was asked why I wasn't holding a very tight pattern (Iwas still in the score zone and they were being smart) and I replied that it's a bit hard to sight a pistol when you are shiveringuncontrollabley as i was!

It was fun. Any shoot where soemoine else pays the bill, and you are still getting paid, is fun.

Lets come up with some suggestions as see where is goes from there.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Damn Roy

You live in what we call East Bum [email protected]# Egypt.... :eek:

Total Est. Time: 5 hours, 59 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 360.75 miles

I would have to take a pass on that location... That's a great idea and I would love to meet everyone
so I will be there in spirit.

Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm looking for further suggestions. That's not local to me either. I was looking for a place where we could all (well not all but most) meet relavitely close. Please feel free to make a suggestion for a place and then when we have all the suggestions we can see which one is in the middle of where we all live. So, if every one just lists their respective zip code, I will put them on a map and try to come up with a location.

Mine = 26757

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From about the 6 people I know who have expressed an interest in this shoot, it is looking like Winchester VA is the center of everyones travels so far, except poor old Sloan that is who is out the in BFE.

Until we get some more interest, we won't know where this is going.

Come on guys and girls, join in and let us know where you are by zip.

Here's the map so far.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Roy - are you talking about Sleepy Creek WMA?

If so - the zip you posted is off slightly... but about 265 MILES... :duh:

Try using zip 25427 for Hedgesville, WV - as I think that'll be easier than Shady Springs, WV which is BFE for sure!

Folks might find this location / zip might easier to attend.

HOWEVER... I'm in !!!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
VA_PLINKER - I have lived here in Berkeley County 20+ years, and have never heard of a 3 round limit at Sleepy Creek WMA - but it is indeed possible. Maybe I've been lucky to never see a ranger? Maybe the proliferation of idiots in the area, and a new ranger (park management) has brought about some much needed changes...

I've encountered some scary MFers up there over the years, that have no business possessing a firearm, but I have never (ever) encountered a park ranger at the range. The only ranger encounter in the park, was when camping down at the lake several years ago, when some assholes were drinkin' and shooting off fireworks - and it was DRY (obvious fire hazard).

That range is notorious for TRASH, as people drag all kinds of shit up there to shoot at. Hell, I've seen guys drag big ROCKS out to the mounds, and THEN put the ROCK INSIDE a cardboard target box, ON TOP of the mound and shoot at it.

After hearing ricochets hit in the trees left and right, we packed up and quickly left the area. I mean c'mon... WTF are they thinking?

That is the down side of a public range - no range master or supervision... and unsafe idiots all around.

HOWEVER, Westlance Arms - is about 20 minutes from the Sleepy Creek range (Westlance is in Jones Springs, WV), and is a pay for use range ($10 pistol / $10 rifle - for NRA Card Holders // $20 each for non-NRA members). You have to call ahead and make reservations, but overall it's not a bad setup. The owner, Mark Ewing, has a fairly decent pepper popper / steel target pistol range, but I will say (from my observations) that the rifle range lacks facilities, as there is only (1) table/bench to shoot from. He has a nice long range, but unless you are proned out, or standing - seated shooting is limited. Of course, this may have changed since last fall - but I can go scope it out to verify.

I guess Sleepy Creek is still better than being around the idiots that go out on the power lines and shoot the hell out of anything they can find. We used to ride motocross bikes and 4-wheelers on the power lines until a couple encounters with shooters ou there. Ain't worth getting hurt over...

I'll see what I can find out and post any updates I have.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts