XCR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me have them.

I know this is an XCR site...I'm going to post the exact same thing at the Sigarms556 forum.

I have handled both rifles, and was sold on the 556 until I started playing with the XCR...the more I handled it the more I liked it.

It cost a bit more...but I didn't have to change any handguards, sites or anything.

Just curious if you have experience with both.

Bighead

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I like both, for similar reasons. Right now the Sig is my favorite.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I like both, have shot and handled both, have passed on a killer deal for a 556 (passed it through my hands and into my brothers, he's happy with it), and can proudly state that I would have done the exact same thing over and over again in getting the XCR. In fact, I would, without a doubt, buy a 2nd XCR before diversifying in to a 556. And probably a 3rd, 4th, and 5th.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Get both at some point - I only purchased the 556 first because at the time I could not find an XCR with the new gas system and then when I did, they all had the heavy barrel which I did not want for a 5.56. When I finally get my XCR it will likely be a 6.8 and perhaps the 308 when it comes to fruition. I do have faith in the platform despite the complaints about the trigger and some other small things...it just seems like whatever I'm looking for from RA always has a long wait associated with it - but that's ok, I want it to be "right". The Sig also has it's own warts as does anything else out there.

Oh, did the Sig that you handled have the swiss handguards? for $85 they completely (in a good way) change the feel of the gun as they are much lighter and make the gun feel slimmer/more lively. I'm very satisfied with my 556, no issues.

Good luck!

·
Registered
874 Posts
I own the the XCR and not the 556. I have handled and shot SG 550/551/552 and I like them all but I still like my XCR the most. The 550 I found to be more accurate than the XCR but the XCR is more egronomic and I find the charging handle to be more natural. As well the rail system on the XCR is very nice. The 550/551/552 is also alot more expensive in Canada where I live 2799 vs the XCR at 1895. I do plan on buying a SG 552 in the near future though but I also have XCR-L in 7.62x39 on order as well as XCR-M in 7.62x51. My :2cents:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I went to buy a 556 but theya were out that day so I just bought another XCR. No regrets, especially since SIG is slowly working towards building the 556 they should have in the first place. The aftermarket (MFI) may beat them to the punch such that I will just get a current 556 and convert it. However, that 556 pistol looks mighty tempting.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
You are talking about two rifles that are nothing alike; it really doesn't make much sense to compare them. The 556 is a cheaper version of a refined AK, if that makes any sense... it compares against the nicer AKs out there, and fairly favorably, IMO, except for the weight, and I still don't like the AR stock on it.... its just "wrong". I think the 556 is also slightly overpriced for what it is (you can get 2-3 cheap AKs, or a really nice Arsenal and a boatload of ammo for the same price). Then again it does have nice features like the stanag mag and a BHO. Its got a nice trigger too.

The XCR is the first of a new generation with a more advanced feature set. The only thing even remotely close to it on the market right now is the LMT MRP, but even that is still 85% AR-15 and shares all the same features that people consider to be weak points on the AR platform.

Basically, the two are nothing alike and don't compare. Unfortunately there isn't really anything to directly compare vs. the XCR right now.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I don't see the sig as much more than a 223 ak with a last round bho.

There are plenty of other advantages, but the xcr's ergos alone put it ahead in my book.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The XCR if a 21st century feature laden platform is the desire. The 556 if the old school or classic carbine appeals to you. I got each for exactly these reasons.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I will add that if they ever put the 550 stock on the 556, and preferrably the pushpin, 550 handguards, and all the QC stories sound good at the same time (and some decent iron sight options would be nice too) I would consider getting one.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I too was looking for a modern platform.The 556 is not a bad rifle.It has had it's issues like any other "new" system has.not unlike the XCR,but none of those in either weapon would be deal breakers for me personally.
It depends on what you want from the rifle.If ergonomics and caliber interchangeability matter more to you,then I believe the XCR is the better mousetrap.If the old school retro deal is your thing ,then the Sig is maybe more to your liking.I wouldn't be afraid to defend myself with either one,given proper trigger time with each particular weapon.Imo the XCR would make a better "fightin rifle" given the aforementioned ergo's.
I think Sig has a similar problem that Armalite had when they introduced the AR180b.It just wasn't the original AR180.I've mentioned this before so I hope not to appear redundant.The point is that the Sig is a loose redesign of an older platform that both hoped to appeal to the fans of the old guns and to new shooters unfamiliar with the 550 series.
The problem herein lies is that you can't be all things to all people.I don't think Sig made allot of friends with the old fans.I think it appeals more to those unfamiliar with the old design.To some of us that are familiar to this family of weapons,it appears to be an attempt to capture some of the market share of the AR15 or "other" black rifle segment,as it really is just a new take on an old mousetrap.I think the Sig is more like a refined Galil.
My bottom line assessment(maybe shoulda just said this to begin with)both use AK type gas piston/systems so reliability should be there.The XCR has solid aluminum upper w/machined rails,not cheesy plastic handgaurds with screw on rails,unless you get the swat 556 which costs considerably more.The XCR is caliber interchangeable.The Sig has a better trigger,but the XCR is correctable without too much fuss.Also if it matters to you the XCR will accept AR15 grips and trigger guards as well.Not meaning to step on anyone,I know some others have posted similar comments,I'm just summarizing what were my comparatives in my decision.
Again,I'm not claiming the XCR to be perfect,but it dose what I ask of it,when I ask it,isn't that all you can ask? :duh:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I own both.. and they are both fine rifles... but I would give the XCR top billing.

Reasons:
Monolithic rail
Multi-caliber capable
Lighter
Better ergonomics

The XCR is a rifle platform.. the SIG 556 is a rifle. The SIG is a capable weapon.. but the XCR has the edge in a number of key areas.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I own both.. and they are both fine rifles... but I would give the XCR top billing.

Reasons:
Monolithic rail
Multi-caliber capable
Lighter
Better ergonomics

The XCR is a rifle platform.. the SIG 556 is a rifle. The SIG is a capable weapon.. but the XCR has the edge in a number of key areas.
Alright, which one of you logged in to Slags name???

If this isn't a stamp of approval, I don't know what is. :eek:

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
The spec sheet on the XCR is much deeper and more inline with what you would expect in a 21st century carbine. It's a weapon system in the truest sense.

The SIG is a base carbine, and out the box is all you'll ever have. You cant change calibers, you dont get a free float quad rail, you cant change barrels without special tools or trip back to the factory, and SBR is not an option unless you purchase the pistol model.

Determine needs and go from there. That is the best way to go about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have both. bought the sig first and the xcr last week at a gun show...turned out it was from the same store and I didn't realize it until I looked at the guys shirt. when I bought the Sig (the green commando model) the guy at the store said they were getting the xcr in the next week and I should check it out. I am an impulsive SOB though and bought the sig just because I could. I have only put 50 rounds through the sig and haven't shot the xcr yet.

The sig feels crappy for a $1500 gun....my tantal feels a lot sturdier and that cost $600 but I must say the sig shot great for the 50 rounds I managed to get through it. I really like the trigger on it even if it has 3 stages...but I don't like how it feels like my airsoft guns. I checked out a couple other ones at gun shows to see if mine was an exception and it is not....all the other "commando" models felt pretty much the same...That said it cycled flawlessly with black hills ammo (75gr i think) and was as accurate as I think I could make it...It just doesn't feel like a $1500 gun to me...also the rear sight tries to get away every couple rounds or so...the roll pin comes out and I have to smash it back in...could I do something about it? Sure...I'm just too lazy to be honest and I really don't think i'll ever be using the lousy back up sights on it anyway...If It ever comes to that I'm probably screwed anyway...The finish is chipping off around the ejection port too...really bad I'd say for only having 50 rounds of target ammo through it too...So my overall impression is it feels like crap but shoots pretty good...I would not hesitate to use it in a situation where I had to...which in all likelyhood will never happen so it's a moot point really...basically I bought the xcr in hopes it would make me happier than the sig did...Oh...I also had to get one of those aftermarket charging handles too because I have an eotech on it too...I guess that's a lot of bitching but I'm really not unhappy with the sig I'm just being honest about my impression of it...If I'd have paid 7-800 bucks for it, I probably would feel differently but my crappy wasr 10 ate everything I put through it and I didn't have any of the problems I had with the sig...maybe I'm just pissed that after 50 rounds it looks like I beat the crap out of it and in reality it's only even been out of my room once...I've been thinking about it lately and if I have to sell a gun the sig will be the one and I'm gonna get hosed on it because it looks beat and it really isn't...So it looks like I'm just gonna have to live with it.

As for the xcr...I haven't fired it yet so I can't say anything about its accuracy or reliability...shit it may fall apart in my hands after the first round for all I know...I doubt that though...but I don't know for sure...I do like the trigger on the sig better...so far...even if it does have 50 stages...and I like the saw grip better than the ar grip but I like everything else about the xcr better so far...really the grip and trigger are the only things I like better about the sig...the xcr doesn't have any BUIS but if I end up losing the one on the sig because I'm not paying attention and it runs away then neither does the sig...and I'm talking like 3 rounds of 223 are backing the roll pin out about 1/4"...enough that it comes out of the left side of the rail and is a PITA to get back in...so how many will it take to fly away? can't say really but again on a $1500 gun that shouldn't happen...well I'm sick of typing and if you've gotten this far I'm sure you're tired of reading so that's all I'm gonna say...take it for what it's worth...one random person's possibly totally made up experience....but if you choose to listen to what I'm saying, I'd choose the xcr over the sig if I had it to do again...and again, if you've gotten this far, thanks for listening to my rant...whether or not it makes a difference:)

Jeremey

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yet another quality issue :duh: Man its downright sad how lame SigArms is in this area. They are not alone apparently though. Spoke to a guy recently who told me the majority of newly manufactured weapons he has purchased have had issues of one sort or another. I recall a time not too long ago when you could count on the quality of just about any given firearm save for the likes of something from Century etc. Nowadays I find myself crossing my fingers prior to pulling the trigger for the first time on any new weapon. My XCR has run flawlessly through more than 700 rounds so far however. Every bolt, screw etc is still tight as a drum. I think the smaller companies like ROBARMS do a much better job with the QC thing than do larger volume operations like SigArms. I have yet to ring out my new 556 so we shall see how it goes with that one I suppose. Although my 556 has yet to be fired I have already had to contact Sig CS over a bad weld I discovered on the gas tube. They were very quick to send me a new replacement with obviously beefed up welds on it therefore they know this is an issue with some(alot?) units in circulation. I was considering doing a 556 pistol but I have already read of at least one case in which the gas tube was manufactured improperly thereby compromising its ease of assembly/disassembly. I have also noted some decontenting Sig has pulled off with new production 556 pistols and rifles in the form of using cheaper(IMO) roll pins for the gas block to barrel interface. Even the $3,600 WCA 551s are coming with this minor but just the same dubious cost cutting measure. In spite of all these negatives I continue to have confidence in the basic system itself. Properly massaged the 556 makes for an outstanding carbine I believe. As soon as I get mine back from [email protected] with its chopped barrel I'm gonna shoot the crap out of it.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Hey, if anyone here wants to swap a SIG for an XCR, let me know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am currently looking at both right now.

It looks like the Sig weighs a bit more and is a little longer as well.

The Sig is a couple hundred cheaper.

Just saving up and doing my research!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Hey, if anyone here wants to swap a SIG for an XCR, let me know.
I have a friend who might take you up on that. Can you tell me about the condition of the XCR you propose to trade? The Sig in question has less than 300 rounds through it, fwiw.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts