XCR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Here is what I would like to see and why

Office Term Term limit
President 4 years 3 terms I am tired of lame ducks every other term.
The damage you can do in eight is the same as 12.

Senate 6 years no limit Keep as is.

House 6 years no limit A 2 year term is nuts these days.
Campaigning is so expensive that the common man would be
stupid to run against an incumbent for a two year office.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Come on, do they really want him for more than 8 years already!? Can't we try a week first?
No kidding, and I don't think I want to go with what you are saying wristlock, unless the "news" agencies can agree to have a separate "political" channel for the 2 years of campaigning.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would say this.

Office Term Term limit
President 4 years 3 terms That is OK.

Senate 6 years 2 terms Being a politician should not be a career.

House 4 years 3 terms Same as above. 12 years should be enough.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm good with the current 8-year presidential run, but I'm with Jbpark on Congress; being a politician should not be a career.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Agreed. There comes a time that fresh ideas and people not set in their ways need to come in. I like to think of it like the PTA. You can be in the PTA at your kids school while your kid is in school but when they move up to another grade (school) then you are no longer welcome in that PTA. Maybe it is only because your vested interest has moved along and I am not making any sense. I still think being a politician shouldn't be a career.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The sad problem is that if you are term limited you will try to get as much as you can from the office as quickly as possible.
If you are not term limited you will spread this out over more time.

So "we the people" get screwed either way. :-\

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I still think being a politician shouldn't be a career.
I tend to agree with you. The Founders did, too. They thought that by making the House of Representatives' terms short, they'd get a lot of turnover and have a very populist chamber. The idea of a Rep serving 15 terms is an anathema to that.

Unfortunately, today, it takes more than two years just to get the lay of the land.

tk

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but back when I took Poly-Sci in college....the single biggest issue was "Term Limits". My understanding is vague as to why but I distinctly remember the reason why it was such a big issue was b/c in order to institute such a term limit on Congress and the Senate was that it would require a 3/4 of states ratification as well as a convening of another "Constitutional Congress".

If we all look back at the second Constitutional Congress.....the Articles of Confederation were completely thrown out and a new Constitution/Bill of Rights was written and adopted.

Such a precedence has DANGEROUS foreshadowing of what could occur if we try such an endeavor again.....

I know I certainly don't want the morons we have in office writing up a new BoR in this day and age.

However, what I don't understand is that after FDR, Presidential term limits were instituted.......how could that have occurred without a Constitutional Congress assembly? Unless, my memory is faulty....which I'm guessing must be the case now.

Any one know?

Sean

·
Registered
22,168 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
If you look back at the history of US Presidents. Only FDR had more than 2 terms. President Washington (1st) just served 2 terms so after that it was just customary to serve no more than two terms.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Funny-Venezuela just voted on the same issue for Chavez! This country sure is having lots of hiccups lately...that, the pastor at the innaugeration is coming from a group with ties to Hamas...it's unclear if our President elect is natural born...he's associates with a domestic terrorist... *hiccup*...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts